Skip to main content


Leuchtfeuer/Funkfeuer dio (part 5 - start of the Einheitsdiesel Kfz. 61))

Another key element of the Leuchtfeuer/Funkfeuer dio will be the Einheitsdiesel Kfz. 61 from IBG Models.

Upon opening the box 4 sprues of grey styrene, one sprue of clear parts and a small decal sheet greeted me.
In total there are a whopping 256 parts on the sprues of which 6 won't be needed for this build.

The instructions cover the building of this truck in 29 steps, laid out in clear pictures, obviously taken from a 3D model.

A quick overview of the sprues shows a good level of detail with some very delicate and well executed parts on display.
What is quite evident from the beginning is that the sprue attachment points are quite heavy and they require careful trimming from the trees so as not to damage the parts.

The frame of the truck is depicted in great detail. Shame that all of this won't be visible once the model is finished.

One of the peculiar details I noticed in the instructions is that the clear parts should already be mounted in the first steps...
Nothing too dr…
Recent posts

Alenia C-27J Spartan - 98° Gruppo (Italeri 1/72) - Part 2

As I mentioned in the previous post I've started building this kit already.

The first few steps of the building instructions went without a problem.
Not surprisingly these steps concern the interior of the plane.
I assembled the interior as far as I deemed smart without compromising the possibility to detail paint the smaller stuff.

I actually like the plastic Italeri uses. It's not too hard and not too soft. It can be sanded easily.

Apart from assembling the interior I've also been test fitting some of the larger sub assemblies.
Test fitting the fuselage halves showed some minor seams, but nothing too dramatic.
The fit of some of the parts though seems extremely tight. Especially the tail planes come to mind in this regard.
These need to fit in a slot in the outer AND inner fuselage. It is extremely important to get everything aligned correctly. Test fitting (in this instance) the left tail plane showed the fitment to be very tight and it was quite hard to get the tail p…

Chevrolet Cruze WTCC TC1 - Tom Coronel (part 1)

And off we go with another project.
But this won't be a quick one (as if I ever had quick projects...) as there's quite an amount of plastic surgery involved...

Ever since I got the ZoomOn transkit in my possession (discussed here) I've been very eager to get working on this one.
But I tried to keep my cool and finish one of the unfinished builds first.

Well. I can tell now that that plan has failed...

As a matter of fact, I was so eager to get going on this one, that I forgot to take some pictures showing the original body of the car (as supplied in the kit).

So, what's the plan?
Base kit is the Aoshima/Beemax Chevrolet Cruze WTCC.
This will be enhanced with the transkit by ZoomOn.

Before starting with the chassis I wanted to get the body sorted first as I suspected this was going to take a fair amount of work.

First step was easy. To remove the front of the original body.
Well, okay, not that easy, because there was some delicate cutting to do. But all went well.


Alenia C-27J Spartan - 98° Gruppo (Italeri 1/72) - Part 1

A new year, a new project.
But different this time. At least, that's the plan.
No thrills - no frills, just out of the box...

When I first started modelling (a long time ago) I mainly built 1/76 and 1/72 Matchbox kits as they were easy to come by.
There was also a good selection of Revell kits, but I didn't like them back then. Too much flash to clean up and soft detail. At least that's what I can remember now.

Planes soon became the main staple in modelling for me, before I discovered the 1/20 F1 cars from Tamiya...
Although my main interest lies still with car kits, the occasional plane will find its way into my stash.
And this happened too with this particular kit.

When I first saw this kit in the new kits section of an issue of Airfix Model World I was intrigued.
I never heard of this plane type before (not that I now all plane types by heart, mind you). When searching Google for this plane I discovered a great special livery for it. And that's when I decided that…

Euro Scale Modelling 2017

Last Saturday (November 25th) I went to the Euro Scale Modelling event.
The event was, as always, organised by the Dutch branch of the IPMS.
For this year a new location was found as the event was growing out of available space at the previous location.

The new venue was the Expo Houten exhibition centre.
And I can say, definitely a change for the better. There was a lot more room inbetween the stands which the exhibitors surely must have welcomed.
The extra room made it also possible to get more clubs and vendors present, which was also very nice.

The event was spread across three halls. The third hall was only used for about 75%, so there's room for growth in the coming years.

Only minor downside was the location of the competition tables. These were located in a smaller room on the first floor and there was hardly enough space for the models in competition (notably in the cars category).
I think there's some room for improvement. But otherwise this was a great event with a …