Skip to main content

Aston Martin DBS "James Bond" (Tamiya 1/24) - part 5

Since the previous part of this build I've been slowly and quietly working on the interior to give it the "James Bond" look.

Question is, will this build be like the latest Bond movie or will the end result see the light of day eventually?

Most of the work for this update is focused on the back "seat" of the car.
As I had noticed in some reference images, the back seat of James Bond's car has not much in common with the back seat of the customer version as shown in the previous update...
Looking at some additional images I noticed that, apart from the fire extinguisher in the middle, there are also two "seats" (as highlighted in the image below). Although it seems they seem to be used to house equipment or other stuff in the Bond car...
 

I roughly shaped a piece of 0.5 mm polystyrene sheet to match the few reference images I have to make it look as close as possible to the car from the movie.
To that end I had to glue the parcel shelf to the tub first so I could get everything to fit properly.


After sanding to shape, I drew the outlines for the "seats", cut the appropriate sections and glued the sheet to the interior piece. I used a few pieces of styrene strip to position the new piece as good as possible.
 

Next I made two inserts from .13 mm styrene sheet to fill the "seat" openings.
 

It needs some more finishing work and than everything needs to be blended in with filler. But the end of the interior adaptations are drawing near.

The seats will be next to round of the interior and than it's on to painting.

Speaking of the end drawing near...
After the last round of filling and sanding I primed the body again after I had cleaned it from sanding residue.
Those stupid parking sensors are giving me a headache though. They're very hard to get rid of. I just wished James Bond wasn't such a badass dude... That would've saved me some time and trouble...
For some stupid reason the parking sensors needed a third round of filling and sanding to get rid of them. 


This is sadly the reason that getting some paint on the body is taking such a long time...
But I'm glad I took the time as in the end I'm quite pleased with how the body ended up. I hope to get some color on the body shortly.

Fingers crossed I have something colorful to show in the next update...

Previous part - Next Part

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Euro Model Expo 2015

Last weekend I went to the Euro Model Expo event in Heiden, Germany. The event was spread over 2 days. I visited on the first day, Saturday March 28th. Just like last year the location was packed with stands occupied by a good mix of vendors and modelling clubs. The quality of the models on show, it being on the club stands or the competition area, was once again very high. During the day members of the Belgian modelling club KMK-Scaleworld were giving demonstrations of several modelling techniques. I decided to visit the demonstration of Jeroen Veen who showed the public several aircraft painting and weathering techniques. For me, as a n00b on aircraft, it was a very interesting and entertaining demonstration and I hope to apply some of the techniques I saw to my coming build of the 1/48 Tamiya Lancaster I got waiting. It was also a nice occassion to talk to some fellow modellers. Amongst others I had a nice chat with Sascha Müller who had a stunning diorama of a Le M

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 5)

As promised in the previous part in this update I'll show what I changed on the roll cage. The roll cage as included in the kit is far from complete. When looking at on-board footage and reference images found on the internet the roll cage needs some extra tubing added.  Over the years the roll cage of the Xsara WRC has had several variants as I've noticed studying my reference images. Which isn't that strange as the crash test and safety regulations have changed over the years.  The reference images I have of the specific chassis (#28) which Duval raced during the 2007 ADAC Rallye Deutschland are sadly inconclusive about which version of the roll cage was fitted. Which means that the adaptations I made are at best a good "guesstimate"... As long as it looks and feels right, it is right I guess... I used Evergreen styrene rod of 1.6 mm in diameter for the added sections for the rollcage.  The added sections are highlighted in the images below. Another section I&#

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 2)

As promised, only a few days since the first part, here's the second part of this build. Once in a while I tend to keep a promise... As mentioned in the previous part I have been studying the manual to figure out what needs to be modified for this build. A few things were already shown in the previous part. Here I will discuss the other modifications I'm planning. This will be a nice exercise for when I'm going to build Gigi Galli's slightly beaten Xsara WRC from rally Portugal 2007... Renaissance transkit 24/96 contains a PE sheet with mesh sections for the vents in the hood and the main grille in the front bumper. Renaissance tells you to glue the mesh over the appropriate sections of the body. But I'm intending to remove the plastic and create some sort of box under/behind the openings to suggest depth. The body needs some parts removed and filled. The molded quick-release bonnet and boot pins need to be removed as they will be replaced with PE items. The holes