Skip to main content

Leuchtfeuer/Funkfeuer dio (part 8 - Einheitsdiesel Kfz.61)

The next update for the Einheitsdiesel Kfz.61 is here.

As reported last time, I decided to drill holes for mounting the suspension parts.

I used a 0.4 and 0.6 mm drill bit for this successively. Quite a bit of work as there are lots of holes to drill. In the end though I'm happy I did this as it made assembly quite a bit easier. 



In theory this would also help me align all six suspension arms so that the truck will stand on all its wheels when finished. Although that won't be such a big deal as I think I'll be able to hide eventual alignment issues in the groundwork...

In the end it wasn't as easy as that though. In my previous post I already feared that my mounting of the suspension parts was slightly questionable. And when mounting the suspension arms this proved to be true. Below are some images of the completed suspension.

To aid alignment I even made a makeshift jig of LEGO bricks to try and get the suspension as straight as possible. But as can be seen from the images, it looks awkward in places...


Miraculously when put on a flat surface all suspension arms touch ground. So alignment (in general) seems to be okay, although it doesn't look like it. Luckily this mess will be hidden from spying eyes once everything is in place on the groundwork of this diorama...


To improve the look of the wheels I ordered some resin replacements by Panzer Art (art.no. RE35-119) from Modellbau König of Germany. The wheels arrived several days ago and they indeed look a lot better than the original kit wheels and even include make and type on the sidewalls.

Compared to the kit wheels this is a big improvement. But perfect they are not. There are several small issues with the castings.



Than there's also the fact that these wheels are sadly not a drop-fit replacement for the kit wheels.The brake drums for the replacement wheels have a different size to the part that connects them to the suspension... I need to make the holes on the suspension parts bigger to get the new wheels to fit.


Apart from the suspension work I had to fit some smaller parts to the base frame of the Einheitsdiesel. Again I was confronted with the lack of information from the building instructions. It's difficult to see how sided parts have to be glued (see arrow in image below). Here some images from the real life versions would be helpful. But they're hard to come by sadly. So I went with some guesswork (again).


Some of these part still need some cleaning up before I can mount them to the chassis. 

But that will be for the next update.

Previous update - Next update

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Euro Model Expo 2015

Last weekend I went to the Euro Model Expo event in Heiden, Germany. The event was spread over 2 days. I visited on the first day, Saturday March 28th. Just like last year the location was packed with stands occupied by a good mix of vendors and modelling clubs. The quality of the models on show, it being on the club stands or the competition area, was once again very high. During the day members of the Belgian modelling club KMK-Scaleworld were giving demonstrations of several modelling techniques. I decided to visit the demonstration of Jeroen Veen who showed the public several aircraft painting and weathering techniques. For me, as a n00b on aircraft, it was a very interesting and entertaining demonstration and I hope to apply some of the techniques I saw to my coming build of the 1/48 Tamiya Lancaster I got waiting. It was also a nice occassion to talk to some fellow modellers. Amongst others I had a nice chat with Sascha Müller who had a stunning diorama of a Le M

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 5)

As promised in the previous part in this update I'll show what I changed on the roll cage. The roll cage as included in the kit is far from complete. When looking at on-board footage and reference images found on the internet the roll cage needs some extra tubing added.  Over the years the roll cage of the Xsara WRC has had several variants as I've noticed studying my reference images. Which isn't that strange as the crash test and safety regulations have changed over the years.  The reference images I have of the specific chassis (#28) which Duval raced during the 2007 ADAC Rallye Deutschland are sadly inconclusive about which version of the roll cage was fitted. Which means that the adaptations I made are at best a good "guesstimate"... As long as it looks and feels right, it is right I guess... I used Evergreen styrene rod of 1.6 mm in diameter for the added sections for the rollcage.  The added sections are highlighted in the images below. Another section I&#

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 2)

As promised, only a few days since the first part, here's the second part of this build. Once in a while I tend to keep a promise... As mentioned in the previous part I have been studying the manual to figure out what needs to be modified for this build. A few things were already shown in the previous part. Here I will discuss the other modifications I'm planning. This will be a nice exercise for when I'm going to build Gigi Galli's slightly beaten Xsara WRC from rally Portugal 2007... Renaissance transkit 24/96 contains a PE sheet with mesh sections for the vents in the hood and the main grille in the front bumper. Renaissance tells you to glue the mesh over the appropriate sections of the body. But I'm intending to remove the plastic and create some sort of box under/behind the openings to suggest depth. The body needs some parts removed and filled. The molded quick-release bonnet and boot pins need to be removed as they will be replaced with PE items. The holes