Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from 2007

Peugeot 307 WRC "Pirelli", Tour de Corse 2006 (part 6)

Work continues (finally)
After I've been working for several weeks on the Ferrari, it was about time that I took up working on this car again.
But that actually happened sooner than I expected (because of the paint problems I encountered with the Ferrari).

First thing I wanted to do was change the footrest of the driver.
I glued a piece of styrene inside the opening that separated the front and rear part of the footrest. I'm not 100% sure that the footrest in Gigi Galli's car was like this as I have no picture of this part from Gigi's car. And in my picture archive I've found pictures both with and without the opening.
But the pictures of the most recently run Peugeot 307's show the opening to be closed, so I assume that it was this way in Gigi's car too.

Another part I needed to change was the shift ring on the steering wheel.
On the left picture below, the original shift ring can be seen. It is obvious that it differs from the one in the left picture above…

Ferrari F430 (part 5)

a major mishap
To keep my updates in style, I decided to start this update also with a mishap. An unintentional one, but a mishap it was. A major mishap to be precise.
Last update I mentioned that I wanted to take this car to the Euro Scale Modeling contest in Nieuwegein. But thanks to this major f*ck up, the car stays at home. Inside a nice comfy bath of brake fluid...

After I had sanded the very mild orange-peel out of the paint with MicroMesh sanding cloths, I took out the Tamiya Fine Compound (the one with the blue cap) to give the paint a nice finish.
And everything was going quite alright. I got a nice shine out of the paint and was quite satisfied with the finish. Only problem was that there were still minor swirl-marks visible because of the polishing process.
And for some reason I wasn't able to get rid of these marks.
In the meantime I had ordered some stuff from Hiroboy, amongst which was Finishing Compound from Tamiya. But as I wasn't sure whether I would rece…

Jaguar XJ220 "Martini" GT, Italian GT championship 1993 (part 1)

After the setback I experienced with the Ferrari F430 I decided that I would start (or at least select) another kit from my stack to get my spirits up.
And the kit I selected is the Jaguar XJ220 from Tamiya (kitno. 24129).
But I won't be building the street version of this car. While checking out some on-line stores looking for after market parts for this kit I stumbled upon a decalset by scaleproduction.de on the MediaMix Hobby internet site.
With this decalset it was possible to make the Martini-sponsored GT Racing car of the Jaguar XJ220. And that is the end of it really. I was instantly hooked. Any car looks great in Martini-livery and especially this one. So the decision was quickly taken to try and build the Martini-sponsored version of this car.
I ordered the decalset from MediaMix (while Scaleproduction didn't have them anymore) and ordered the required BBS wheels directly from Scaleproduction.

I was ready to build.
Or wasn't I ? The few reference pictures prov…

Jaguar Mk. II Saloon "Inspector Morse" (part 5)

Wheels of fortune
As it happens, the adapting of the wheels to mate the Revell and Tamiya parts turned out to be quite simple.
To my surprise, the Tamiya wheels were quite thick. Thick enough to cut them in halve so that I can use the rear part of the Tamiya wheels (with the mounting pin) and the front part of the Revell wheels without too much problems.

I used a Crazy Modeler sawblade in my Dremel tool to cut up the Tamiya wheels. After I cut up the rims, I sanded them down a bit more with a grinding stone.

End of this update.

Peugeot 307 WRC "Pirelli", Tour de Corse 2006 (part 5)

Decalling the body
Before I started with decalling car body, I glued the air scoop on the roof of the car. I did sand the rear end of the air scoop a bit. I saw on some reference pictures that the air scoop wasn't closed. But the part provided with the kit was closed, so I opened it up.

Decalling actually went without a problem. The decals for this build were made by Renaissance and are really great. I used MicroScale Set and Sol to get the decals to conform to the shape of the car. And bar for a few minor niggles, everything went without a hitch.
You can see the current state of affairs on the pictures below.

The keen observer of the pictures above may have noticed the minor niggles I was referring to.
Although I used Set and Sol on the decals, a few of them didn't want to down perfectly, as can be seen in the following pictures.
I am going to try to rectify that, but my efforts have so far been fruitless... But I keep trying.

Another minor thing I want to fix before I clearc…

Ferrari F430 (part 4)

A minor mishap
This build was quietly moving towards completion. Which was nice, because I want to take this car to the ESM contest at the end of November.
But when I took the bodyshell out to commence the polishing and waxing of the body, I noticed a small white spot on the front of the hood of the car.
Hmm, nothing serious I thought and tried to remove the offending spot swiftly, but carefully.
Yes, I got it removed. Oh no, the underlying paint too !!! Very nice.


Out came the sanding paper and micromesh clothes. I gave the car a good sanding, masked the vents of the engine room and airbrushed the whole car again.
And it turned out quite fine. This action gave me also the opportunity to repair the minor damage on the rear bumper.
On the pictures below is the current state. As can be seen on the right picture, there's still some sanding to do. But in general the paint is looking very good and I'm confident that I'm going to get this car ready in time for the ESM ev…