Skip to main content

There's resin and than there's resin...

Over the years I have collected quite a few model kits.
Most kits I have are injection moulded plastic model kits. Apart from that I have several white metal kits and some resin kits as well as resin transkits.

Reason I'm starting this blog entry is the fact that I was completely blown away by the quality of a transkit I purchased from the ZoomOn pro modeling team earlier this year.

Just look at the impeccable presentation of the transkit in the first place:


Not many companies can top this. And it doesn't stop there.
The quality of the parts is unbelievable. No flash, no skins, no casting stubs or blocks. Hardly any clean up necessary.
The wheels are a great example of the casting quality. As are the thin walls on the new body parts.
If I didn't know this was resin I'd say these parts are injection moulded...


Apart from the resin components there's a quite complete sheet of photo etched parts included as well as several very comprehensive decal sheets.
And to top it all off, there's also a Tom Coronel figure included. Truly outstanding stuff.


What a difference compared to some other manufacturers.
Several resin (trans)kits in my collection are of such bad quality that it's almost an insult having had to pay for these. Notably kits from Eastern Europe or Brazil are really bad in detail and quality...
One kit I recently acquired really stands out from these (in a bad way, that is). Apart from the shoddy detail and so-so quality it had also a really strong smell to it. Even weeks after receiving the kit (and leaving it to gas out in the open air) the smell was still present.
Still, I'd have bought it again, as it depicts a rally car I otherwise wasn't able to build...

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting started on the transkit from ZoomOn to see if it builds as good as it looks.
So keep checking this blog to see how things are going when I start this kit shortly.


Popular posts from this blog

Euro Model Expo 2015

Last weekend I went to the Euro Model Expo event in Heiden, Germany.

The event was spread over 2 days. I visited on the first day, Saturday March 28th.

Just like last year the location was packed with stands occupied by a good mix of vendors and modelling clubs.

The quality of the models on show, it being on the club stands or the competition area, was once again very high.

During the day members of the Belgian modelling club KMK-Scaleworld were giving demonstrations of several modelling techniques.
I decided to visit the demonstration of Jeroen Veen who showed the public several aircraft painting and weathering techniques.

For me, as a n00b on aircraft, it was a very interesting and entertaining demonstration and I hope to apply some of the techniques I saw to my coming build of the 1/48 Tamiya Lancaster I got waiting.

It was also a nice occassion to talk to some fellow modellers.
Amongst others I had a nice chat with Sascha Müller who had a stunning diorama of a Le Mans pit stop on …

Corvette C5-R Compuware (part 2)

In the previous post I already mentioned that the moulds had seen better days as this is quite an old kit (original moulds seem to be from 2000/2001).
A direct result of the age of the moulds is the fact that the kit is based on the early version of the C5-R, more precisely on chassis no.'s C5R-001 to C5R-004.

The version of the car that can be build from this kit is the Le Mans 2003 version, being either chassis no. C5R-008 or C5R-009.

I found a lot of useful information on the C5-R on the this site.

I tried to highlight some (but not all) differences between the different versions of the C5-R below.

As can be seen are there quite a few challenges ahead if you want to build your Corvette as it raced at the 2003 Le Mans event.
I will try to rectify the most obvious differences, but won't be taking on all of them.
My original list of modifications was looking like this:
close the naca ducts (2).removing the louvres of the radiator outlet (3).increasing the radiator outlet open…

Corvette C5-R Compuware (part 17)

The interior has finally been finished.
Not without a few hiccups. I really wonder who decided on the building order... At the end of the instructions you're asked to mount the rear ARB. This sits on top of the rollcage and connects to the rear upper suspension arms.
For some reason though Revell has you attach the fuel cell/oil cooling ducts (at least I think they are) in step 11. And in the final step (19, for the interior that is) you're required to glue the rear ARB in place. To get this in place you must twist and turn the ARB part in between the cooling ducts and the roll cage. A bit fiddly, but it can be done.
It could have been done a lot easier though. A good lesson to never trust the building instructions, although in the end all came good.

With all the fiddling and fumbling around, paint has chipped off in several places due to the handling and/or the glue.
So before closing everything up I will have to wield the airbrush for a final time and respray a few details …