Skip to main content

Alenia C-27J Spartan - 98° Gruppo (Italeri 1/72) - Part 1

A new year, a new project.
But different this time. At least, that's the plan.
No thrills - no frills, just out of the box...

When I first started modelling (a long time ago) I mainly built 1/76 and 1/72 Matchbox kits as they were easy to come by.
There was also a good selection of Revell kits, but I didn't like them back then. Too much flash to clean up and soft detail. At least that's what I can remember now.

Planes soon became the main staple in modelling for me, before I discovered the 1/20 F1 cars from Tamiya...
Although my main interest lies still with car kits, the occasional plane will find its way into my stash.
And this happened too with this particular kit.

When I first saw this kit in the new kits section of an issue of Airfix Model World I was intrigued.
I never heard of this plane type before (not that I now all plane types by heart, mind you). When searching Google for this plane I discovered a great special livery for it. And that's when I decided that I was going to build this plane.

(image taken from scalemates.com)

As it turned out, this kit wasn't new. Italeri first released it in 2011.
This particular release (from 2017) has three possible liveries. To my joy the livery I was planning to build was included in this release.

picture by Sven Zimmermann, taken from Airfighters.com

The kit comes in a sturdy and quite large carton (for a 1/72 kit).
All the sprues are packed separately in a PE bag.
Surface detail is very fine and delicate. I hope not too delicate once there's paint on the model.
There's quite a lot of detail on some of the smaller parts. Really impressive.
Just a minimum of flash is visible on a few parts. Some sink marks are present too. Sadly on quite visible places, so that will take some work.

The decal sheet looks great (and is big), with vibrant colours and seems in register on first inspection. Printed by Cartograf I'd expect no less.
The instructions are very clear. You'll have to decide quite soon which version you want to build as there are different steps to follow depending on the version you're planning to build.

(picture by Alfredo La Marca, taken from airliners.net)

A neat touch is the way the fuselage of the plane is built up with an inner and outer fuselage.
The inner fuselage has the padding detail visible on the inside which can also be seen clearly on the image above.


Below are some pictures of the sprues and decal sheet to get a bit of an idea of the detail present.


Building has already commenced, so the next update won't be long.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Euro Model Expo 2015

Last weekend I went to the Euro Model Expo event in Heiden, Germany. The event was spread over 2 days. I visited on the first day, Saturday March 28th. Just like last year the location was packed with stands occupied by a good mix of vendors and modelling clubs. The quality of the models on show, it being on the club stands or the competition area, was once again very high. During the day members of the Belgian modelling club KMK-Scaleworld were giving demonstrations of several modelling techniques. I decided to visit the demonstration of Jeroen Veen who showed the public several aircraft painting and weathering techniques. For me, as a n00b on aircraft, it was a very interesting and entertaining demonstration and I hope to apply some of the techniques I saw to my coming build of the 1/48 Tamiya Lancaster I got waiting. It was also a nice occassion to talk to some fellow modellers. Amongst others I had a nice chat with Sascha Müller who had a stunning diorama of a Le M

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 2)

As promised, only a few days since the first part, here's the second part of this build. Once in a while I tend to keep a promise... As mentioned in the previous part I have been studying the manual to figure out what needs to be modified for this build. A few things were already shown in the previous part. Here I will discuss the other modifications I'm planning. This will be a nice exercise for when I'm going to build Gigi Galli's slightly beaten Xsara WRC from rally Portugal 2007... Renaissance transkit 24/96 contains a PE sheet with mesh sections for the vents in the hood and the main grille in the front bumper. Renaissance tells you to glue the mesh over the appropriate sections of the body. But I'm intending to remove the plastic and create some sort of box under/behind the openings to suggest depth. The body needs some parts removed and filled. The molded quick-release bonnet and boot pins need to be removed as they will be replaced with PE items. The holes

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 5)

As promised in the previous part in this update I'll show what I changed on the roll cage. The roll cage as included in the kit is far from complete. When looking at on-board footage and reference images found on the internet the roll cage needs some extra tubing added.  Over the years the roll cage of the Xsara WRC has had several variants as I've noticed studying my reference images. Which isn't that strange as the crash test and safety regulations have changed over the years.  The reference images I have of the specific chassis (#28) which Duval raced during the 2007 ADAC Rallye Deutschland are sadly inconclusive about which version of the roll cage was fitted. Which means that the adaptations I made are at best a good "guesstimate"... As long as it looks and feels right, it is right I guess... I used Evergreen styrene rod of 1.6 mm in diameter for the added sections for the rollcage.  The added sections are highlighted in the images below. Another section I&#