Skip to main content

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 4)

Slowly slowly I continu with this project.

One of the very obvious things I noticed when looking at my reference pictures is that the co-driver (Patrick Pivato) sits very low in the car compared to Francois Duval.
Something that's not too hard to simulate in the model. To that end I made a hole in the floor of the insert for the interior of the car. It looks a bit ragged, but I don't think it will be visible once everything is stuck together...

The floor of the car itself keeps giving me slight worries. In the previous part I showed that I had straightened the part with heat from a hair dryer (and cooling the plastic immediately afterwards with cold tap water).
After a few days (okay, months, in the meantime) of rest I have the feeling that the plastic is trying to return to it's bent shape. At least it seems as if the floor is not so straight anymore as I remembered...
Maybe I need to have another go with the hair dryer to sort it out.

To liven up the interior I decided to use some parts from the new generic detail set that's been released by Kool Models Productions recently.
Although I must admit that I've been tempted to make the parts myself on my Anycubic Photon... Next time maybe.

When test fitting the (so called) suspension parts I noticed that one of the attachment points on the floor where the suspension should be mounted was molded a bit badly. I had to use a chisel to deepen the attachment point.
Just another example of the not so great moldings from Heller. Luckily I spotted this in time.

As the fitment of the suspension parts and the wheel wells isn't that smooth I decided to glue the suspension and wheel wells to the floor.
This way I'm able to fill the gaps and smoothen everything before painting.
I'm sure this will make painting and masking things a bit more of a challenge. But I'm hoping that the end result will justify this decision.

As shown in one of the previous updates I opened up the vent holes in the bonnet and the airscoop in the front bumper to add a bit of realism.
As there's nothing to show behind these openings I made some "boxes" the blank off the holes.
Below is a picture of the box for the bonnet vents.
I made this from 0.25 mm styrene sheet. Which, I must admit was a bit wobbly. I think I had better used some thicker material. But it serves it's purpose, so I'm happy with how this turned out.

In the next update I will show how I added some extra detail to the roll cage and some other additions I made to the interior.
Dependent on how much work needs to be done on the suspension/wheel well parts I'm hoping that the first parts will get primed for the next update.

Stay tuned.

Previous part - Next part


Popular posts from this blog

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 2)

As promised, only a few days since the first part, here's the second part of this build. Once in a while I tend to keep a promise... As mentioned in the previous part I have been studying the manual to figure out what needs to be modified for this build. A few things were already shown in the previous part. Here I will discuss the other modifications I'm planning. This will be a nice exercise for when I'm going to build Gigi Galli's slightly beaten Xsara WRC from rally Portugal 2007... Renaissance transkit 24/96 contains a PE sheet with mesh sections for the vents in the hood and the main grille in the front bumper. Renaissance tells you to glue the mesh over the appropriate sections of the body. But I'm intending to remove the plastic and create some sort of box under/behind the openings to suggest depth. The body needs some parts removed and filled. The molded quick-release bonnet and boot pins need to be removed as they will be replaced with PE items. The holes

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 1)

And off we go on another project. When modelling WRC subjects, you cannot ignore the Citroën Xsara WRC as it is some kind of legend. Especially in the hands of a certain French driver. That's why I have 3 Xsara kits in my stash. None of said driver, that is. But rest assured, he is also present in my WRC collection. With this particular build I'm going to build the car that Francois Duval drove so expertly to the runner-up spot in the 2007 ADAC Rallye Deutschland. Sadly, where the Citroën Xsara WRC is a bit of a legend, the same thing can not be said of the only injection moulded kit if the same car... As said, there's not much choice, as Heller is the only kit manufacturer for this car (although the same kit has also been released by Airfix and Italeri). For this build I'll be using Heller kit no. 80769. Let's just say,it's not a Tamiya kit... By far. For several reasons I chose this particular car because I like the livery and I like Francois Duval too beca

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 5)

As promised in the previous part in this update I'll show what I changed on the roll cage. The roll cage as included in the kit is far from complete. When looking at on-board footage and reference images found on the internet the roll cage needs some extra tubing added.  Over the years the roll cage of the Xsara WRC has had several variants as I've noticed studying my reference images. Which isn't that strange as the crash test and safety regulations have changed over the years.  The reference images I have of the specific chassis (#28) which Duval raced during the 2007 ADAC Rallye Deutschland are sadly inconclusive about which version of the roll cage was fitted. Which means that the adaptations I made are at best a good "guesstimate"... As long as it looks and feels right, it is right I guess... I used Evergreen styrene rod of 1.6 mm in diameter for the added sections for the rollcage.  The added sections are highlighted in the images below. Another section I&#