Skip to main content

Jaguar Mk. II Saloon "Inspector Morse" (part 3)

Mirror mirror on the car...
The mirrors that are provided in this kit don't really resemble the mirrors on the Inspector's car.
Actually, I wonder how Tamiya decided which type of mirror to include in this kit. Because looking through the original car's brochure I can't help but notice the absence of any kind of mirror in all of the pictures and drawings. I find it hard to believe that the car would leave the factory without any rear-view mirrors. But apparently it did...

And when mirrors were finally mounted on the cars (by the owner or by Jaguar, I don't know), they were mounted all over the front of the car. Some were mounted close to the driver. Others were mounted almost at the front of the hood.
Pick one :

Luckily I had a few nice pictures (images from an episode) depicting the shape and position of the mirrors on Inspector Morse's car.

Sadly I thought I'd have to scratch-build the mirrors... Not my strongest point I'm afraid.
But luckily (again) I could use parts of the kit-provided mirrors. With a few minor modifications I managed to get them to look quite convincing.

Only thing I'm contemplating is whether I should strip the chrome layer and putty the rear of the mirrors to give it a more finished look. I have some Alclad chrome, so stripping the chrome won't be a problem. I'll probably make the adjustments. But not until the next update !

Popular posts from this blog

Euro Model Expo 2015

Last weekend I went to the Euro Model Expo event in Heiden, Germany.

The event was spread over 2 days. I visited on the first day, Saturday March 28th.

Just like last year the location was packed with stands occupied by a good mix of vendors and modelling clubs.

The quality of the models on show, it being on the club stands or the competition area, was once again very high.

During the day members of the Belgian modelling club KMK-Scaleworld were giving demonstrations of several modelling techniques.
I decided to visit the demonstration of Jeroen Veen who showed the public several aircraft painting and weathering techniques.

For me, as a n00b on aircraft, it was a very interesting and entertaining demonstration and I hope to apply some of the techniques I saw to my coming build of the 1/48 Tamiya Lancaster I got waiting.

It was also a nice occassion to talk to some fellow modellers.
Amongst others I had a nice chat with Sascha Müller who had a stunning diorama of a Le Mans pit stop on …

Corvette C5-R Compuware (part 2)

In the previous post I already mentioned that the moulds had seen better days as this is quite an old kit (original moulds seem to be from 2000/2001).
A direct result of the age of the moulds is the fact that the kit is based on the early version of the C5-R, more precisely on chassis no.'s C5R-001 to C5R-004.

The version of the car that can be build from this kit is the Le Mans 2003 version, being either chassis no. C5R-008 or C5R-009.

I found a lot of useful information on the C5-R on the this site.

I tried to highlight some (but not all) differences between the different versions of the C5-R below.

As can be seen are there quite a few challenges ahead if you want to build your Corvette as it raced at the 2003 Le Mans event.
I will try to rectify the most obvious differences, but won't be taking on all of them.
My original list of modifications was looking like this:
close the naca ducts (2).removing the louvres of the radiator outlet (3).increasing the radiator outlet open…

Corvette C5-R Compuware (part 9)

Getting there
The drama with the tires finally seems to have come to an end.
My suspicion that the aggressive solvent-based clearcoat triggered some sort of reaction with either the water-based clearcoat and or the material of the tires appears to be true.
My options were rather limited, so I decided to spray a new water-based clearcoat over the tires, hoping to cover the previous layer of clear and stop the reaction.
For 3 of the 4 tires one layer of clear was enough.
The rear tire with the most problems received 2 layers and that seems to do the trick. Even after more than a week of drying the clear stays flat.


The clearcoat I used was my own Revell Aqua Color mix as used previously. But this time thinned with it's dedicated thinner and applied by airbrush.
Although the image above does little to hide the imperfections I'm happy I finally am able to finish this chapter so I can divert my attention again towards the rest of the kit.

Work has finally continued on the body.
S…