Skip to main content

Peugeot 307 WRC "Pirelli", Tour de Corse 2006 (part 3)

What's the colour of money ?
I should know by now. I've spent more than enough of it on the colour for this car.
In my previous update I was very optimistic about Tamiya X-8 for this car. But sadly, this colour was also too dark.
Next was the runner-up, the Revell yellow. But, you might have guessed it, it was too light...
Luckily I had to go to the nearby city of Roermond to pay a local hobby store, who stocks Revell Aqua Color, a visit. Thanks to the mass painting shown above I was running out of semigloss black, so re-stocking was needed.
But alas, no semigloss black in stock... But, he did have a spraycan of Tamiya TS-16. Which I bought. One more different tone of yellow wouldn't hurt I thought.
And it didn't hurt indeed. Because this was the yellow I've been looking for from the beginning. I really don't understand that Renaissance recommends TS47. That colour is really way too dark.
Anyway, I finally got THE colour, so off spraying I went (after decanting the paint into a jar).
As I was a bit lazy, I didn't bother stripping the (very thin) layers of X-8 and Revell. Not good. It appeared that the lacquer from the spraycan reacted with the previous layers of paint. And after spraying a first layer of paint I got a nice cracked paintjob.
But, to my big surprise (and relief), after a few days drying, the cracks are almost gone. The irregularities in the paintjob that remain can easily be smoothed out with MicroMesh sanding cloths.
So in the end, the drama wasn't such a drama after all. Phew.

Have a seat, no, have two !
Between all the stress I've been having with the colour choice and stripping paint and all, I've still managed to get some other things done.
One of them is cutting some holes in the seats, so that I can put some aftermarket seatbelts on the seats.
The other is painting the seats. The backside has been painted gloss black, to provide a smooth surface for the carbon fiber decals that go on the back.
The rest of the seats is painted flat black. I have been thinking about applying some texture to the seats. From the reference picture you can see that the fabric of the seats has a very fine structure.

But, as with the roof of Inspector Morse's Jaguar, I've decided that it just isn't possible to create a fine enough texture in this scale.

Apart from the seats I've also been working on the suspension parts.

The suspension is finished in the meantime, with the brake-discs also attached, but I haven't taken any pictures yet. Those will be for the next update.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Euro Model Expo 2015

Last weekend I went to the Euro Model Expo event in Heiden, Germany. The event was spread over 2 days. I visited on the first day, Saturday March 28th. Just like last year the location was packed with stands occupied by a good mix of vendors and modelling clubs. The quality of the models on show, it being on the club stands or the competition area, was once again very high. During the day members of the Belgian modelling club KMK-Scaleworld were giving demonstrations of several modelling techniques. I decided to visit the demonstration of Jeroen Veen who showed the public several aircraft painting and weathering techniques. For me, as a n00b on aircraft, it was a very interesting and entertaining demonstration and I hope to apply some of the techniques I saw to my coming build of the 1/48 Tamiya Lancaster I got waiting. It was also a nice occassion to talk to some fellow modellers. Amongst others I had a nice chat with Sascha Müller who had a stunning diorama of a Le M

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 5)

As promised in the previous part in this update I'll show what I changed on the roll cage. The roll cage as included in the kit is far from complete. When looking at on-board footage and reference images found on the internet the roll cage needs some extra tubing added.  Over the years the roll cage of the Xsara WRC has had several variants as I've noticed studying my reference images. Which isn't that strange as the crash test and safety regulations have changed over the years.  The reference images I have of the specific chassis (#28) which Duval raced during the 2007 ADAC Rallye Deutschland are sadly inconclusive about which version of the roll cage was fitted. Which means that the adaptations I made are at best a good "guesstimate"... As long as it looks and feels right, it is right I guess... I used Evergreen styrene rod of 1.6 mm in diameter for the added sections for the rollcage.  The added sections are highlighted in the images below. Another section I&#

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 2)

As promised, only a few days since the first part, here's the second part of this build. Once in a while I tend to keep a promise... As mentioned in the previous part I have been studying the manual to figure out what needs to be modified for this build. A few things were already shown in the previous part. Here I will discuss the other modifications I'm planning. This will be a nice exercise for when I'm going to build Gigi Galli's slightly beaten Xsara WRC from rally Portugal 2007... Renaissance transkit 24/96 contains a PE sheet with mesh sections for the vents in the hood and the main grille in the front bumper. Renaissance tells you to glue the mesh over the appropriate sections of the body. But I'm intending to remove the plastic and create some sort of box under/behind the openings to suggest depth. The body needs some parts removed and filled. The molded quick-release bonnet and boot pins need to be removed as they will be replaced with PE items. The holes