Skip to main content

Ferrari F430 (part 4)

A minor mishap
This build was quietly moving towards completion. Which was nice, because I want to take this car to the ESM contest at the end of November.
But when I took the bodyshell out to commence the polishing and waxing of the body, I noticed a small white spot on the front of the hood of the car.
Hmm, nothing serious I thought and tried to remove the offending spot swiftly, but carefully.
Yes, I got it removed. Oh no, the underlying paint too !!! Very nice.

Out came the sanding paper and micromesh clothes. I gave the car a good sanding, masked the vents of the engine room and airbrushed the whole car again.
And it turned out quite fine. This action gave me also the opportunity to repair the minor damage on the rear bumper.
On the pictures below is the current state. As can be seen on the right picture, there's still some sanding to do. But in general the paint is looking very good and I'm confident that I'm going to get this car ready in time for the ESM event.

Engine compartment
I've already started to make some additional parts for detailing the engine room. But before I start with that task, I had to do some painting first.
I noticed that I'd forgotten to paint the exhausts, which are visible between the aluminum coloured triangles. As a colour I used chrome silver from the Revell Aquacolor range.
I'm still contemplating whether to paint a second layer, because the exhaust looks a bit dark now.
And I've also put some Bare Metal Foil onto the muffler (?). It's the first time that I used BMF. And I must admit that I'm not totally happy with how it looks. But as the part will be largely onscured when the car is put together, I won't do anything about it.
Looking back, it might have been better to paint that part. But as I said, it'll stay this way.

Other things
Apart from painting the body (again), I've also been doing some detail work on the dashboard.
In the Crazy Modeler PE set there were some items included that should go onto the vents in the dashboard (third picture below). But to get them to fit correctly I had to sand some parts from the vents. As the dashboard was already completely painted, I decided to paint the borders of the vents.
And as it turned out, I think it looks just like the real thing. I don't think I could have achieved the same result with the PE parts.
End of this update.


Popular posts from this blog

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 2)

As promised, only a few days since the first part, here's the second part of this build. Once in a while I tend to keep a promise... As mentioned in the previous part I have been studying the manual to figure out what needs to be modified for this build. A few things were already shown in the previous part. Here I will discuss the other modifications I'm planning. This will be a nice exercise for when I'm going to build Gigi Galli's slightly beaten Xsara WRC from rally Portugal 2007... Renaissance transkit 24/96 contains a PE sheet with mesh sections for the vents in the hood and the main grille in the front bumper. Renaissance tells you to glue the mesh over the appropriate sections of the body. But I'm intending to remove the plastic and create some sort of box under/behind the openings to suggest depth. The body needs some parts removed and filled. The molded quick-release bonnet and boot pins need to be removed as they will be replaced with PE items. The holes

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 1)

And off we go on another project. When modelling WRC subjects, you cannot ignore the Citroën Xsara WRC as it is some kind of legend. Especially in the hands of a certain French driver. That's why I have 3 Xsara kits in my stash. None of said driver, that is. But rest assured, he is also present in my WRC collection. With this particular build I'm going to build the car that Francois Duval drove so expertly to the runner-up spot in the 2007 ADAC Rallye Deutschland. Sadly, where the Citroën Xsara WRC is a bit of a legend, the same thing can not be said of the only injection moulded kit if the same car... As said, there's not much choice, as Heller is the only kit manufacturer for this car (although the same kit has also been released by Airfix and Italeri). For this build I'll be using Heller kit no. 80769. Let's just say,it's not a Tamiya kit... By far. For several reasons I chose this particular car because I like the livery and I like Francois Duval too beca

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 5)

As promised in the previous part in this update I'll show what I changed on the roll cage. The roll cage as included in the kit is far from complete. When looking at on-board footage and reference images found on the internet the roll cage needs some extra tubing added.  Over the years the roll cage of the Xsara WRC has had several variants as I've noticed studying my reference images. Which isn't that strange as the crash test and safety regulations have changed over the years.  The reference images I have of the specific chassis (#28) which Duval raced during the 2007 ADAC Rallye Deutschland are sadly inconclusive about which version of the roll cage was fitted. Which means that the adaptations I made are at best a good "guesstimate"... As long as it looks and feels right, it is right I guess... I used Evergreen styrene rod of 1.6 mm in diameter for the added sections for the rollcage.  The added sections are highlighted in the images below. Another section I&#