Skip to main content

Peugeot 307 WRC "Pirelli", Tour de Corse 2006 (part 5)

Decalling the body
Before I started with decalling car body, I glued the air scoop on the roof of the car. I did sand the rear end of the air scoop a bit. I saw on some reference pictures that the air scoop wasn't closed. But the part provided with the kit was closed, so I opened it up.

Decalling actually went without a problem. The decals for this build were made by Renaissance and are really great. I used MicroScale Set and Sol to get the decals to conform to the shape of the car. And bar for a few minor niggles, everything went without a hitch.
You can see the current state of affairs on the pictures below.

The keen observer of the pictures above may have noticed the minor niggles I was referring to.
Although I used Set and Sol on the decals, a few of them didn't want to down perfectly, as can be seen in the following pictures.
I am going to try to rectify that, but my efforts have so far been fruitless... But I keep trying.

Another minor thing I want to fix before I clearcoat the body is the fact that some of the decals do not completely cover the intended area. See the pictures below.
I want to try and mix the right shade of red to fill-in the spots that have not been covered by the decals.

Brake duct
Another thing I've been working on for this kit is the brake ducts.
On the tarmac rallies the Peugeot 307 (at least Gigi Galli's car) hade been equipped with bigger brake ducts. There are no brake ducts in Tamiya's kit, so this was something I had to scratchbuild.
On the right picture above, the brake ducts can be seen to the right and left of the Bozian-lettering on the intake mesh.
After I made a draft of the brake ducts in 3D, I cut the flat parts from a thin sheet of brass and folded the parts with my newly acquired Etchmate tool.

The brake ducts on the picture above aren't the final ones. I wasn't totally satisfied with the ones above, so I've been folding some new ones, of which I don't have taken pictures yet.

The final parts I want to show in this update are the rims.
After I adapted the 15-spoke rims from the Bozian Peugeot 206 kit to this car, I painted them white with Tamiya X-2.
In the meantime I've also painted the bolts of the wheels and the centers of the rims.
For the spare wheel I have drilled out the holes where the bolts should go (not that anybody will ever see, because the spare wheel will be tucked away in the back of the car).

On the right picture are some tires (with the wrong rims). The left tyre has been sanded (a bit) to get rid of the mould line which runs over the middle (as can be seen on the right tyre).

End of this update...


Popular posts from this blog

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 2)

As promised, only a few days since the first part, here's the second part of this build. Once in a while I tend to keep a promise... As mentioned in the previous part I have been studying the manual to figure out what needs to be modified for this build. A few things were already shown in the previous part. Here I will discuss the other modifications I'm planning. This will be a nice exercise for when I'm going to build Gigi Galli's slightly beaten Xsara WRC from rally Portugal 2007... Renaissance transkit 24/96 contains a PE sheet with mesh sections for the vents in the hood and the main grille in the front bumper. Renaissance tells you to glue the mesh over the appropriate sections of the body. But I'm intending to remove the plastic and create some sort of box under/behind the openings to suggest depth. The body needs some parts removed and filled. The molded quick-release bonnet and boot pins need to be removed as they will be replaced with PE items. The holes

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 1)

And off we go on another project. When modelling WRC subjects, you cannot ignore the Citroën Xsara WRC as it is some kind of legend. Especially in the hands of a certain French driver. That's why I have 3 Xsara kits in my stash. None of said driver, that is. But rest assured, he is also present in my WRC collection. With this particular build I'm going to build the car that Francois Duval drove so expertly to the runner-up spot in the 2007 ADAC Rallye Deutschland. Sadly, where the Citroën Xsara WRC is a bit of a legend, the same thing can not be said of the only injection moulded kit if the same car... As said, there's not much choice, as Heller is the only kit manufacturer for this car (although the same kit has also been released by Airfix and Italeri). For this build I'll be using Heller kit no. 80769. Let's just say,it's not a Tamiya kit... By far. For several reasons I chose this particular car because I like the livery and I like Francois Duval too beca

Euro Model Expo 2015

Last weekend I went to the Euro Model Expo event in Heiden, Germany. The event was spread over 2 days. I visited on the first day, Saturday March 28th. Just like last year the location was packed with stands occupied by a good mix of vendors and modelling clubs. The quality of the models on show, it being on the club stands or the competition area, was once again very high. During the day members of the Belgian modelling club KMK-Scaleworld were giving demonstrations of several modelling techniques. I decided to visit the demonstration of Jeroen Veen who showed the public several aircraft painting and weathering techniques. For me, as a n00b on aircraft, it was a very interesting and entertaining demonstration and I hope to apply some of the techniques I saw to my coming build of the 1/48 Tamiya Lancaster I got waiting. It was also a nice occassion to talk to some fellow modellers. Amongst others I had a nice chat with Sascha Müller who had a stunning diorama of a Le M