Skip to main content

Ferrari F430 (part 6)

Starting all over again
After a nice dip into the brake fluid, all evidence of a crappy paintjob has been removed.
And now I can start all over again.
After the body came out of the brake fluid, I scrubbed it down with an old toothbrush and some lukewarm soapy water, to remove all the residue of the brake fluid.
Then I noticed something that I haven't seen before. It seems that the brake fluid softened the plastic of the body a bit. Because while scrubbing the body I noticed that the roof seemed to "move" when I scrubbed it.
And indeed, a nice crack has appeared on the roof. After drying the body, I put some styrene glue into the crack from the underside. I used the ultra thin cement from Tamiya which did the job perfectly.

What I also noticed was that the Tamiya putty I have used on this kit does not like brake fluid. So I also have to redo the putty work on the body.
Nothing major, but it definately needs to be done.

During my visit to Euro Scale Modeling last year I had the chance to speak to some fellow modelers. Especially one person from the Belgian "De Paddock" community was very helpful in giving advice concerning painting of car bodies.
So when I got home, I immediately paid a visit to Steve Hemming's on-line store (Hiroboy) and ordered some automotive paint and 2K urethane clear.
As I've read that this 2K clear is quite nasty stuff, I also bought myself a respirator with appropriate filters.
But before I can use the paint, the clear and the respirator I had to redo some parts with putty and repair the roof further.

With this work now nearly finished, the end of this build is, once again, drawing near. And although I stated at the end of the previous page, evidently in an optimistic mood, to show the finished model in this update, by now I can tell you that it won't happen yet. And I'm not going to predict that it will be ready in time for the next update.
But hey, sometimes miracles do happen...

End of this update.


Popular posts from this blog

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 2)

As promised, only a few days since the first part, here's the second part of this build. Once in a while I tend to keep a promise... As mentioned in the previous part I have been studying the manual to figure out what needs to be modified for this build. A few things were already shown in the previous part. Here I will discuss the other modifications I'm planning. This will be a nice exercise for when I'm going to build Gigi Galli's slightly beaten Xsara WRC from rally Portugal 2007... Renaissance transkit 24/96 contains a PE sheet with mesh sections for the vents in the hood and the main grille in the front bumper. Renaissance tells you to glue the mesh over the appropriate sections of the body. But I'm intending to remove the plastic and create some sort of box under/behind the openings to suggest depth. The body needs some parts removed and filled. The molded quick-release bonnet and boot pins need to be removed as they will be replaced with PE items. The holes

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 1)

And off we go on another project. When modelling WRC subjects, you cannot ignore the Citroën Xsara WRC as it is some kind of legend. Especially in the hands of a certain French driver. That's why I have 3 Xsara kits in my stash. None of said driver, that is. But rest assured, he is also present in my WRC collection. With this particular build I'm going to build the car that Francois Duval drove so expertly to the runner-up spot in the 2007 ADAC Rallye Deutschland. Sadly, where the Citroën Xsara WRC is a bit of a legend, the same thing can not be said of the only injection moulded kit if the same car... As said, there's not much choice, as Heller is the only kit manufacturer for this car (although the same kit has also been released by Airfix and Italeri). For this build I'll be using Heller kit no. 80769. Let's just say,it's not a Tamiya kit... By far. For several reasons I chose this particular car because I like the livery and I like Francois Duval too beca

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 5)

As promised in the previous part in this update I'll show what I changed on the roll cage. The roll cage as included in the kit is far from complete. When looking at on-board footage and reference images found on the internet the roll cage needs some extra tubing added.  Over the years the roll cage of the Xsara WRC has had several variants as I've noticed studying my reference images. Which isn't that strange as the crash test and safety regulations have changed over the years.  The reference images I have of the specific chassis (#28) which Duval raced during the 2007 ADAC Rallye Deutschland are sadly inconclusive about which version of the roll cage was fitted. Which means that the adaptations I made are at best a good "guesstimate"... As long as it looks and feels right, it is right I guess... I used Evergreen styrene rod of 1.6 mm in diameter for the added sections for the rollcage.  The added sections are highlighted in the images below. Another section I&#