Skip to main content

Jaguar Mk. II Saloon "Inspector Morse" (part 6)

The roof is on fire...
Well, not really on fire. But at least some work has been done on it.
Earlier in this build report I stated that I wasn't happy with the way the wires (simulating the seams of vinyl roof) looked. So I removed them. And in the meantime replaced them with very thin wires I used from a co-axial cable.
Instead of using superglue to glue the wires to the roof, I opted this time for Kristal Klear by Microscale Industries. Sounds impressive, but it's actually a kind of clear drying wood glue.

With the superglue I've had problems applying the glue even and sparingly. Although it didn't show before painting the roof, after painting the bits of glue that had seeped out from under the wire were very obvious. This was, together with the unrealistic size of the wires, another reason to try it again.
The Kristal Klear glue is water soluble and I used a wet Q-tip to remove the excess glue from the roof before the glue dried.
As I haven't painted the roof yet, I don't know how it will look in the end, but from what I can see now it looks very promising.

A small experiment
Also earlier in this report I said that I wouldn't apply a texture to the roof as the texture on the 1:1 roof is already very fine and I think it is not possible to downscale it realistically to this car.
This doesn't deter me from a small experiment with some "Cast-a-coat" powder that I purchased some time ago.

I put some Krystal Klear on a piece of styrene and applied the powder according the instructions. I intentionally only covered half of the piece with Krystal Klear as I intended to do this job in 2 parts, to see whether the joint between the two halves would be visible.
After the powder had been applied, I sprayed some semigloss black over it. And this is how it looks:

As can be seen from the pictures above, the seam can be seen. But with a bit of work, I think it can be nearly invisible.
But I still won't use this powder on the roof. I think that a semigloss finish will look convincing enough, and I'll be using this powder for other things...

End of this update.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Euro Model Expo 2015

Last weekend I went to the Euro Model Expo event in Heiden, Germany. The event was spread over 2 days. I visited on the first day, Saturday March 28th. Just like last year the location was packed with stands occupied by a good mix of vendors and modelling clubs. The quality of the models on show, it being on the club stands or the competition area, was once again very high. During the day members of the Belgian modelling club KMK-Scaleworld were giving demonstrations of several modelling techniques. I decided to visit the demonstration of Jeroen Veen who showed the public several aircraft painting and weathering techniques. For me, as a n00b on aircraft, it was a very interesting and entertaining demonstration and I hope to apply some of the techniques I saw to my coming build of the 1/48 Tamiya Lancaster I got waiting. It was also a nice occassion to talk to some fellow modellers. Amongst others I had a nice chat with Sascha Müller who had a stunning diorama of a Le M

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 2)

As promised, only a few days since the first part, here's the second part of this build. Once in a while I tend to keep a promise... As mentioned in the previous part I have been studying the manual to figure out what needs to be modified for this build. A few things were already shown in the previous part. Here I will discuss the other modifications I'm planning. This will be a nice exercise for when I'm going to build Gigi Galli's slightly beaten Xsara WRC from rally Portugal 2007... Renaissance transkit 24/96 contains a PE sheet with mesh sections for the vents in the hood and the main grille in the front bumper. Renaissance tells you to glue the mesh over the appropriate sections of the body. But I'm intending to remove the plastic and create some sort of box under/behind the openings to suggest depth. The body needs some parts removed and filled. The molded quick-release bonnet and boot pins need to be removed as they will be replaced with PE items. The holes

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 5)

As promised in the previous part in this update I'll show what I changed on the roll cage. The roll cage as included in the kit is far from complete. When looking at on-board footage and reference images found on the internet the roll cage needs some extra tubing added.  Over the years the roll cage of the Xsara WRC has had several variants as I've noticed studying my reference images. Which isn't that strange as the crash test and safety regulations have changed over the years.  The reference images I have of the specific chassis (#28) which Duval raced during the 2007 ADAC Rallye Deutschland are sadly inconclusive about which version of the roll cage was fitted. Which means that the adaptations I made are at best a good "guesstimate"... As long as it looks and feels right, it is right I guess... I used Evergreen styrene rod of 1.6 mm in diameter for the added sections for the rollcage.  The added sections are highlighted in the images below. Another section I&#