Skip to main content

Ferrari F430 (part 7)

Almost reached the end
In the previous update you could see that I had repaired all the bad spots I had discovered in the bodyshell of the Ferrari.
After that I washed the model in lukewarm soapy water with an old toothbrush to remove all the sanding residue and my fingerprints (hah, eat that CSI).
After I had let the model dry in the air I sprayed the first coat of primer. This was necessary as a precaution, to prevent the Zero Paints paint I bought from "attacking" the plastic of the body.
After the first coat of primer I noticed several small spots which still needed to be repaired. An example can be seen in the pictures above.
So out came the putty again, to repair those final spots.
After that had been done, I sprayed a few more coats of primer to get good coverage.
After the final coat of primer I carefully restored and deepened several panellines of the car and after that was done I did wash the body again and it now was ready to receive the colour coat.

After the body had dried, I applied 4 coats of Nero and let the paint thoroughly dry.
As this paint dries semi-gloss it was necessary to cover the body with clearcoat. To that end I had purchased 2 component clear coat from Zero Paints.
And after applying two layers of clear the car looks like this:
As can be seen on the right picture above, several spots remain in the clear. This was mostly due to the fact that the fans used in the spray-booth setup aren't powerfull enough and the fact that it might have been better to cover the model with a box, to prevent dust from settling on the model.

The spots will be sanded flat and after that I will use compound to smooth the layer of clear further as a very slight hint of orange peel is also visible on some parts of the body.
After the body has been smoothed out, I will paint the windowrubbers and air-vents of the engine room and than I will wax the model.
And hopefully for next update I will have finished this car and be able to show you how it finally turned out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Euro Model Expo 2015

Last weekend I went to the Euro Model Expo event in Heiden, Germany. The event was spread over 2 days. I visited on the first day, Saturday March 28th. Just like last year the location was packed with stands occupied by a good mix of vendors and modelling clubs. The quality of the models on show, it being on the club stands or the competition area, was once again very high. During the day members of the Belgian modelling club KMK-Scaleworld were giving demonstrations of several modelling techniques. I decided to visit the demonstration of Jeroen Veen who showed the public several aircraft painting and weathering techniques. For me, as a n00b on aircraft, it was a very interesting and entertaining demonstration and I hope to apply some of the techniques I saw to my coming build of the 1/48 Tamiya Lancaster I got waiting. It was also a nice occassion to talk to some fellow modellers. Amongst others I had a nice chat with Sascha Müller who had a stunning diorama of a Le M

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 2)

As promised, only a few days since the first part, here's the second part of this build. Once in a while I tend to keep a promise... As mentioned in the previous part I have been studying the manual to figure out what needs to be modified for this build. A few things were already shown in the previous part. Here I will discuss the other modifications I'm planning. This will be a nice exercise for when I'm going to build Gigi Galli's slightly beaten Xsara WRC from rally Portugal 2007... Renaissance transkit 24/96 contains a PE sheet with mesh sections for the vents in the hood and the main grille in the front bumper. Renaissance tells you to glue the mesh over the appropriate sections of the body. But I'm intending to remove the plastic and create some sort of box under/behind the openings to suggest depth. The body needs some parts removed and filled. The molded quick-release bonnet and boot pins need to be removed as they will be replaced with PE items. The holes

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 5)

As promised in the previous part in this update I'll show what I changed on the roll cage. The roll cage as included in the kit is far from complete. When looking at on-board footage and reference images found on the internet the roll cage needs some extra tubing added.  Over the years the roll cage of the Xsara WRC has had several variants as I've noticed studying my reference images. Which isn't that strange as the crash test and safety regulations have changed over the years.  The reference images I have of the specific chassis (#28) which Duval raced during the 2007 ADAC Rallye Deutschland are sadly inconclusive about which version of the roll cage was fitted. Which means that the adaptations I made are at best a good "guesstimate"... As long as it looks and feels right, it is right I guess... I used Evergreen styrene rod of 1.6 mm in diameter for the added sections for the rollcage.  The added sections are highlighted in the images below. Another section I&#