Skip to main content

Jaguar Mk. II Saloon "Inspector Morse" (part 9)

Spick and span
When looking through the pictures of this project, I noticed that there had been no work done on this project since March. So it was about time to do something.
As can been seen in the previous update, there seems not that much work left to finish this build.
But looks are deceiving. Because the layer of clear that has been put in this car has quite some orange peel to it, so I had to sand it all out. This process took me already a few hours, and I'm not finished yet.
As with the Peugeot 307 WRC, I used MicroMesh polishing clothes in the roughness 4000, 6000, 8000 and 12000 to sand out all the orange peel.
To protect the most delicate parts, where the expected layer of clear is thin, I masked them with masking tape before I started the sanding process.
But sadly, all these precautions couldn't prevent me from slightly damaging the paint layer. Because when I tried to clear the panel lines of the trunk from the sanding residue (with a wooden toothpick) I somehow managed to remove some tiny chips of paint.

After completely sanding the car, the paint looks rather smooth.
All that is left to do now, is start polishing with the Tamiya polishing compound to hopefully get the same shine as I got on the Peugeot...

The hood of the car has already been polished and is looking very fine indeed. And I have good hope that the rest of the car will become just as shiny.
But that will be for the next update.

Apart from the sanding I've also been working on the mirrors.
Sadly they didn't turn out as well as I expected, so they need a little bit more work.
I had already painted the mirrors black before I could apply the Alclad II chrome finish. But after applying the chrome finish, several dents and tiny holes are still visible which need to be smoothed first.

More to follow in the next update.


Popular posts from this blog

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 2)

As promised, only a few days since the first part, here's the second part of this build. Once in a while I tend to keep a promise... As mentioned in the previous part I have been studying the manual to figure out what needs to be modified for this build. A few things were already shown in the previous part. Here I will discuss the other modifications I'm planning. This will be a nice exercise for when I'm going to build Gigi Galli's slightly beaten Xsara WRC from rally Portugal 2007... Renaissance transkit 24/96 contains a PE sheet with mesh sections for the vents in the hood and the main grille in the front bumper. Renaissance tells you to glue the mesh over the appropriate sections of the body. But I'm intending to remove the plastic and create some sort of box under/behind the openings to suggest depth. The body needs some parts removed and filled. The molded quick-release bonnet and boot pins need to be removed as they will be replaced with PE items. The holes

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 1)

And off we go on another project. When modelling WRC subjects, you cannot ignore the Citroën Xsara WRC as it is some kind of legend. Especially in the hands of a certain French driver. That's why I have 3 Xsara kits in my stash. None of said driver, that is. But rest assured, he is also present in my WRC collection. With this particular build I'm going to build the car that Francois Duval drove so expertly to the runner-up spot in the 2007 ADAC Rallye Deutschland. Sadly, where the Citroën Xsara WRC is a bit of a legend, the same thing can not be said of the only injection moulded kit if the same car... As said, there's not much choice, as Heller is the only kit manufacturer for this car (although the same kit has also been released by Airfix and Italeri). For this build I'll be using Heller kit no. 80769. Let's just say,it's not a Tamiya kit... By far. For several reasons I chose this particular car because I like the livery and I like Francois Duval too beca

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 5)

As promised in the previous part in this update I'll show what I changed on the roll cage. The roll cage as included in the kit is far from complete. When looking at on-board footage and reference images found on the internet the roll cage needs some extra tubing added.  Over the years the roll cage of the Xsara WRC has had several variants as I've noticed studying my reference images. Which isn't that strange as the crash test and safety regulations have changed over the years.  The reference images I have of the specific chassis (#28) which Duval raced during the 2007 ADAC Rallye Deutschland are sadly inconclusive about which version of the roll cage was fitted. Which means that the adaptations I made are at best a good "guesstimate"... As long as it looks and feels right, it is right I guess... I used Evergreen styrene rod of 1.6 mm in diameter for the added sections for the rollcage.  The added sections are highlighted in the images below. Another section I&#