Skip to main content

Corvette C5-R Compuware (part 17)

The interior has finally been finished.
Not without a few hiccups. I really wonder who decided on the building order... At the end of the instructions you're asked to mount the rear ARB. This sits on top of the rollcage and connects to the rear upper suspension arms.
For some reason though Revell has you attach the fuel cell/oil cooling ducts (at least I think they are) in step 11. And in the final step (19, for the interior that is) you're required to glue the rear ARB in place. To get this in place you must twist and turn the ARB part in between the cooling ducts and the roll cage. A bit fiddly, but it can be done.
It could have been done a lot easier though. A good lesson to never trust the building instructions, although in the end all came good.

With all the fiddling and fumbling around, paint has chipped off in several places due to the handling and/or the glue.
So before closing everything up I will have to wield the airbrush for a final time and respray a few details to give everything an uniform appearance.

The current state of affairs for the interior (without the touching up).


The last of the decals have also been applied to the body.
The arrows for the quick release latches and towing eyes weren't yet applied. Sadly Revell didn't provide all the required arrows for some reason.
In the end I needed something like 16 arrows, but the decal sheet only provided me with 14. But only the eagle-eyed will spot the missing arrows...


I also took care of the red striping (as can be seen in the pictures above).
A bit of a delicate affair, but I'm quite happy with the result.
After a tip on a German forum I made a cut in the decals to split the decals so I could remove the offending sections.
To that end I used a stiff brush and some Micro Set to soak and rub the parts to be removed.
After the parts had been sufficiently soaked I used a toothpick to rub the sections off.
The clearcoat I sprayed before did it's job perfectly. The paint wasn't affected by all the handling.
This actually turned out better than I expected.


Now it's time for the clear coat.
This time I won't be using the Alclad Aqua Gloss clear. I'll give some 1K clear from Zero Paints a go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Euro Model Expo 2015

Last weekend I went to the Euro Model Expo event in Heiden, Germany. The event was spread over 2 days. I visited on the first day, Saturday March 28th. Just like last year the location was packed with stands occupied by a good mix of vendors and modelling clubs. The quality of the models on show, it being on the club stands or the competition area, was once again very high. During the day members of the Belgian modelling club KMK-Scaleworld were giving demonstrations of several modelling techniques. I decided to visit the demonstration of Jeroen Veen who showed the public several aircraft painting and weathering techniques. For me, as a n00b on aircraft, it was a very interesting and entertaining demonstration and I hope to apply some of the techniques I saw to my coming build of the 1/48 Tamiya Lancaster I got waiting. It was also a nice occassion to talk to some fellow modellers. Amongst others I had a nice chat with Sascha Müller who had a stunning diorama of a Le M

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 2)

As promised, only a few days since the first part, here's the second part of this build. Once in a while I tend to keep a promise... As mentioned in the previous part I have been studying the manual to figure out what needs to be modified for this build. A few things were already shown in the previous part. Here I will discuss the other modifications I'm planning. This will be a nice exercise for when I'm going to build Gigi Galli's slightly beaten Xsara WRC from rally Portugal 2007... Renaissance transkit 24/96 contains a PE sheet with mesh sections for the vents in the hood and the main grille in the front bumper. Renaissance tells you to glue the mesh over the appropriate sections of the body. But I'm intending to remove the plastic and create some sort of box under/behind the openings to suggest depth. The body needs some parts removed and filled. The molded quick-release bonnet and boot pins need to be removed as they will be replaced with PE items. The holes

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 5)

As promised in the previous part in this update I'll show what I changed on the roll cage. The roll cage as included in the kit is far from complete. When looking at on-board footage and reference images found on the internet the roll cage needs some extra tubing added.  Over the years the roll cage of the Xsara WRC has had several variants as I've noticed studying my reference images. Which isn't that strange as the crash test and safety regulations have changed over the years.  The reference images I have of the specific chassis (#28) which Duval raced during the 2007 ADAC Rallye Deutschland are sadly inconclusive about which version of the roll cage was fitted. Which means that the adaptations I made are at best a good "guesstimate"... As long as it looks and feels right, it is right I guess... I used Evergreen styrene rod of 1.6 mm in diameter for the added sections for the rollcage.  The added sections are highlighted in the images below. Another section I&#