Skip to main content

Peugeot 307 WRC "Pirelli", Tour de Corse 2006 (part 6)

Work continues (finally)
After I've been working for several weeks on the Ferrari, it was about time that I took up working on this car again.
But that actually happened sooner than I expected (because of the paint problems I encountered with the Ferrari).

First thing I wanted to do was change the footrest of the driver.
I glued a piece of styrene inside the opening that separated the front and rear part of the footrest. I'm not 100% sure that the footrest in Gigi Galli's car was like this as I have no picture of this part from Gigi's car. And in my picture archive I've found pictures both with and without the opening.
But the pictures of the most recently run Peugeot 307's show the opening to be closed, so I assume that it was this way in Gigi's car too.

Another part I needed to change was the shift ring on the steering wheel.
On the left picture below, the original shift ring can be seen. It is obvious that it differs from the one in the left picture above.
So I made a new piece of ring from styrene sheet and glued it to the old shift ring. The gaps that were left were filled with Tamiya putty. The part still needs to be sanded smooth but overall I'm happy with the result.

Next up was a part I had to change, but actually hadn't planned to change.
When I compared the original spare wheel with the new spare wheel I noticed that recessed part where the wheel bolts should go was a bit more narrow on the new part.
So what you might wonder. But to fix the shell of the car to the bottom I need to mount a part into the recessed part of the spare wheel (see pictures below). And with the new wheel I found out that it wouldn't fit.
So out came the file and I filed the offending part to size.

The final part I've been working on recently is the fuel cell.
I must admit that Tamiya has been cutting corners with this kit. The chassis of the car is not very detailed, being a cast iron part. But that is not where they have stopped. Also the interior lacks detail.
I do admit that the fuel cell won't be very visible, but I think it would have been easy to include it in the moulds. But as Tamiya didn't do that, I'll be scratchbuilding it from styrene sheet and strip.
This is how far I've gotten up till now:

The cut-out in the middle was necessary because of the mounting pin that is underneath the spare wheel.

End of this update.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 2)

As promised, only a few days since the first part, here's the second part of this build. Once in a while I tend to keep a promise... As mentioned in the previous part I have been studying the manual to figure out what needs to be modified for this build. A few things were already shown in the previous part. Here I will discuss the other modifications I'm planning. This will be a nice exercise for when I'm going to build Gigi Galli's slightly beaten Xsara WRC from rally Portugal 2007... Renaissance transkit 24/96 contains a PE sheet with mesh sections for the vents in the hood and the main grille in the front bumper. Renaissance tells you to glue the mesh over the appropriate sections of the body. But I'm intending to remove the plastic and create some sort of box under/behind the openings to suggest depth. The body needs some parts removed and filled. The molded quick-release bonnet and boot pins need to be removed as they will be replaced with PE items. The holes

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 1)

And off we go on another project. When modelling WRC subjects, you cannot ignore the Citroën Xsara WRC as it is some kind of legend. Especially in the hands of a certain French driver. That's why I have 3 Xsara kits in my stash. None of said driver, that is. But rest assured, he is also present in my WRC collection. With this particular build I'm going to build the car that Francois Duval drove so expertly to the runner-up spot in the 2007 ADAC Rallye Deutschland. Sadly, where the Citroën Xsara WRC is a bit of a legend, the same thing can not be said of the only injection moulded kit if the same car... As said, there's not much choice, as Heller is the only kit manufacturer for this car (although the same kit has also been released by Airfix and Italeri). For this build I'll be using Heller kit no. 80769. Let's just say,it's not a Tamiya kit... By far. For several reasons I chose this particular car because I like the livery and I like Francois Duval too beca

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 5)

As promised in the previous part in this update I'll show what I changed on the roll cage. The roll cage as included in the kit is far from complete. When looking at on-board footage and reference images found on the internet the roll cage needs some extra tubing added.  Over the years the roll cage of the Xsara WRC has had several variants as I've noticed studying my reference images. Which isn't that strange as the crash test and safety regulations have changed over the years.  The reference images I have of the specific chassis (#28) which Duval raced during the 2007 ADAC Rallye Deutschland are sadly inconclusive about which version of the roll cage was fitted. Which means that the adaptations I made are at best a good "guesstimate"... As long as it looks and feels right, it is right I guess... I used Evergreen styrene rod of 1.6 mm in diameter for the added sections for the rollcage.  The added sections are highlighted in the images below. Another section I&#