Skip to main content

Jaguar Mk. II Saloon "Inspector Morse" (part 4)

Slow progress
As the title of this update reads, work has been a bit slow on this car.
Most of my time has been devoted to the other 2 cars I am building.

As a matter of fact, I actually demodelled this car a bit, leaving me with more work to do, instead of less.
I've been not quite happy with the way tho roof looked. Especially the seams of the vinyl roof I had created with thin wire (0.25 mm).
Although the wire is very thin, I still found it out of scale, so I removed the "seams" from the roof, to replace them with thinner wire. And hoping that it will look more in scale.
Another valid reason for removing the wires was because I had been a bit sloppy with the glue. And because the layer of paint on the roof was very thin, the spilled glue stood out quite sharply.
So, after I had removed the wires, I sanded the roof smooth. Only thing to do now is glue some new, thinner (I have 0.15 lying around) wires to the roof, and repaint it.

Wheels keep on turning
While scouring eBay for some kits I accidentaly stumbled upon the following kit:
The wheels of this car immediately caught my attention. They looked just like the wheels on the Inspectors car.
So I bought the kit. Only to find out that, although the wheels are indeed the ones I'm looking for, mounting them to the Inspectors car will be a whole different story.
Apart from the fact that I think it might be quite a challenge fitting Tamiya's soft vinyl tires around these rims.
Because, where Tamiya's wheels are made as one piece, the wheels from the Revell kit are made up of several parts (partly integrated with the tire). And that's not taking into account the different mounting principle.
First two pictures below are from Revell, the last one is from Tamiya.

In other words. I've got quite some work to do on this one.

End of this update.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Euro Model Expo 2015

Last weekend I went to the Euro Model Expo event in Heiden, Germany. The event was spread over 2 days. I visited on the first day, Saturday March 28th. Just like last year the location was packed with stands occupied by a good mix of vendors and modelling clubs. The quality of the models on show, it being on the club stands or the competition area, was once again very high. During the day members of the Belgian modelling club KMK-Scaleworld were giving demonstrations of several modelling techniques. I decided to visit the demonstration of Jeroen Veen who showed the public several aircraft painting and weathering techniques. For me, as a n00b on aircraft, it was a very interesting and entertaining demonstration and I hope to apply some of the techniques I saw to my coming build of the 1/48 Tamiya Lancaster I got waiting. It was also a nice occassion to talk to some fellow modellers. Amongst others I had a nice chat with Sascha Müller who had a stunning diorama of a Le M

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 5)

As promised in the previous part in this update I'll show what I changed on the roll cage. The roll cage as included in the kit is far from complete. When looking at on-board footage and reference images found on the internet the roll cage needs some extra tubing added.  Over the years the roll cage of the Xsara WRC has had several variants as I've noticed studying my reference images. Which isn't that strange as the crash test and safety regulations have changed over the years.  The reference images I have of the specific chassis (#28) which Duval raced during the 2007 ADAC Rallye Deutschland are sadly inconclusive about which version of the roll cage was fitted. Which means that the adaptations I made are at best a good "guesstimate"... As long as it looks and feels right, it is right I guess... I used Evergreen styrene rod of 1.6 mm in diameter for the added sections for the rollcage.  The added sections are highlighted in the images below. Another section I&#

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 2)

As promised, only a few days since the first part, here's the second part of this build. Once in a while I tend to keep a promise... As mentioned in the previous part I have been studying the manual to figure out what needs to be modified for this build. A few things were already shown in the previous part. Here I will discuss the other modifications I'm planning. This will be a nice exercise for when I'm going to build Gigi Galli's slightly beaten Xsara WRC from rally Portugal 2007... Renaissance transkit 24/96 contains a PE sheet with mesh sections for the vents in the hood and the main grille in the front bumper. Renaissance tells you to glue the mesh over the appropriate sections of the body. But I'm intending to remove the plastic and create some sort of box under/behind the openings to suggest depth. The body needs some parts removed and filled. The molded quick-release bonnet and boot pins need to be removed as they will be replaced with PE items. The holes