Skip to main content

Avro Lancaster B Mk. I ME858 JI-J (teaser)

With this post I'd like to introduce my newest project.
This time it'll be a break from the usual 4-wheeled subjects I build.

I started my modelling "career" building 1/72 planes from Matchbox, mainly.
I built everything from jets to props. My interest in planes never has faded although I haven't build a plane in a long time.

My enthousiam got rekindled when my father (with several other people) started working on a book depicting the history of the former municipality of Hunsel (in the South of the Netherlands) during World War 2.
One of the chapters in the book concerned the crash of a Lancaster bomber during the summer of 1944 near the house of my parents.
My intention is to build this plane in a rather dramatic setting: Just after it had been shot, with the port engines on fire.

The kit I'm going to use will be the Tamiya 1/48 model of the Avro Lancaster B Mk. I (kit no. 61112).
Some 20 years ago I already build this kit (OOB) for a small exhibition commemorating the 50th anniversary of the end of WW2 in the (former) municipality of Hunsel.


Now I'm going to build this kit again and Im planning something special for it.
I intend to use (LED)lights to depict the engines in flames. I got this idea when I saw some pictures of scale explosions on a scale model of a Star Destroyer from Star Wars.

Problem is: I haven't got a clue where to start. I've already read some threads on different forums to get a bit acquainted with lights on model kits, but I'm not sure which path to take.
So if anyone has any suggestions, don't hesitate to contact me or leave a comment to this post.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Euro Model Expo 2015

Last weekend I went to the Euro Model Expo event in Heiden, Germany. The event was spread over 2 days. I visited on the first day, Saturday March 28th. Just like last year the location was packed with stands occupied by a good mix of vendors and modelling clubs. The quality of the models on show, it being on the club stands or the competition area, was once again very high. During the day members of the Belgian modelling club KMK-Scaleworld were giving demonstrations of several modelling techniques. I decided to visit the demonstration of Jeroen Veen who showed the public several aircraft painting and weathering techniques. For me, as a n00b on aircraft, it was a very interesting and entertaining demonstration and I hope to apply some of the techniques I saw to my coming build of the 1/48 Tamiya Lancaster I got waiting. It was also a nice occassion to talk to some fellow modellers. Amongst others I had a nice chat with Sascha Müller who had a stunning diorama of a Le M

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 5)

As promised in the previous part in this update I'll show what I changed on the roll cage. The roll cage as included in the kit is far from complete. When looking at on-board footage and reference images found on the internet the roll cage needs some extra tubing added.  Over the years the roll cage of the Xsara WRC has had several variants as I've noticed studying my reference images. Which isn't that strange as the crash test and safety regulations have changed over the years.  The reference images I have of the specific chassis (#28) which Duval raced during the 2007 ADAC Rallye Deutschland are sadly inconclusive about which version of the roll cage was fitted. Which means that the adaptations I made are at best a good "guesstimate"... As long as it looks and feels right, it is right I guess... I used Evergreen styrene rod of 1.6 mm in diameter for the added sections for the rollcage.  The added sections are highlighted in the images below. Another section I&#

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 2)

As promised, only a few days since the first part, here's the second part of this build. Once in a while I tend to keep a promise... As mentioned in the previous part I have been studying the manual to figure out what needs to be modified for this build. A few things were already shown in the previous part. Here I will discuss the other modifications I'm planning. This will be a nice exercise for when I'm going to build Gigi Galli's slightly beaten Xsara WRC from rally Portugal 2007... Renaissance transkit 24/96 contains a PE sheet with mesh sections for the vents in the hood and the main grille in the front bumper. Renaissance tells you to glue the mesh over the appropriate sections of the body. But I'm intending to remove the plastic and create some sort of box under/behind the openings to suggest depth. The body needs some parts removed and filled. The molded quick-release bonnet and boot pins need to be removed as they will be replaced with PE items. The holes