Skip to main content

Corvette C5-R Compuware (part 14)

With the body almost ready for decals, I stepped up my efforts concerning the interior.
I made the electronics box at the passenger side.
I used a small piece of styrene (Evergreen item no. 166 2.0x3.2 mm) and drilled a few holes into it so I could fix the needed wires into the box.

For the wires I used 0.4 mm steel wire. To simulate the connectors I used some styrene rod (Evergreen item no. 221 1.2 mm). Using a pin vise I drilled 0.5 mm holes into the rod, so I could insert the wire.

I must say the "connectors" look quite bulky in the picture. But after a coat of paint they look good enough for me.

To further detail the cabling I used some hose clamps from Detail Master (DM-2480) which can also pass as cable ties (with some imagination).

I also made a second electronics box at the passenger side. This one is mounted on the floor.
I'll have to lighten the cables a bit to make it more visible once installed.
As a base I used an electronics box from the kit, sanded to shape to fit the intended location.
Here I also used 0.4 mm steel wire as well as 0.7 mm wire for the thicker cable.
Once again I made use of the Detail Master hose clamps to add a bit of extra detail.

Because the layer of clear turned out to be rather coarse (probably from the slight problems mentioned in my previous post) I had to sand the clear smooth.
For this I used Micromesh clothes from 4000 upward to get a nice smooth finish.
I will definately need more practice with that Alclad Aqua Gloss clear.
I started of with the rear wing. The clear seems quite durable but was nevertheless quite easy to sand smooth.
I also have started the body, but there is quite some work still there.

The rear wing however was nice and ready for its decals.
Which I duly applied last week.
Now I'll let the decals thoroughly dry before applying another layer of clear.
And here I'm still a bit undecided. Will I continu with the Alclad clear? I also have some Zero Paints 1K clear lying around...

I must say that I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the decals. Revell doesn't have the best of names if you believe all the stories on the internet. But for this particular kit they really are very good.
They're nice and thin, have good coverage, react well to Micro Set and Sol. A joy to work with.

Concerning the design of the decals I'm not so happy with the quality and I'm glad that I checked my references because Revell got it slightly wrong with the decals for the wing endplates. The decals should be the same for both left and right endplates, as correctly pictured in the instructions. But for some reason on the decal sheet they are opposites.

This was easily fixed by cutting the decal for one endplate in half. Nobody would have noticed of course, but it was just a minor effort to get it right, so I went for it.

Popular posts from this blog

Euro Model Expo 2015

Last weekend I went to the Euro Model Expo event in Heiden, Germany.

The event was spread over 2 days. I visited on the first day, Saturday March 28th.

Just like last year the location was packed with stands occupied by a good mix of vendors and modelling clubs.

The quality of the models on show, it being on the club stands or the competition area, was once again very high.

During the day members of the Belgian modelling club KMK-Scaleworld were giving demonstrations of several modelling techniques.
I decided to visit the demonstration of Jeroen Veen who showed the public several aircraft painting and weathering techniques.

For me, as a n00b on aircraft, it was a very interesting and entertaining demonstration and I hope to apply some of the techniques I saw to my coming build of the 1/48 Tamiya Lancaster I got waiting.

It was also a nice occassion to talk to some fellow modellers.
Amongst others I had a nice chat with Sascha Müller who had a stunning diorama of a Le Mans pit stop on …

Corvette C5-R Compuware (part 2)

In the previous post I already mentioned that the moulds had seen better days as this is quite an old kit (original moulds seem to be from 2000/2001).
A direct result of the age of the moulds is the fact that the kit is based on the early version of the C5-R, more precisely on chassis no.'s C5R-001 to C5R-004.

The version of the car that can be build from this kit is the Le Mans 2003 version, being either chassis no. C5R-008 or C5R-009.

I found a lot of useful information on the C5-R on the this site.

I tried to highlight some (but not all) differences between the different versions of the C5-R below.

As can be seen are there quite a few challenges ahead if you want to build your Corvette as it raced at the 2003 Le Mans event.
I will try to rectify the most obvious differences, but won't be taking on all of them.
My original list of modifications was looking like this:
close the naca ducts (2).removing the louvres of the radiator outlet (3).increasing the radiator outlet open…

Corvette C5-R Compuware (part 9)

Getting there
The drama with the tires finally seems to have come to an end.
My suspicion that the aggressive solvent-based clearcoat triggered some sort of reaction with either the water-based clearcoat and or the material of the tires appears to be true.
My options were rather limited, so I decided to spray a new water-based clearcoat over the tires, hoping to cover the previous layer of clear and stop the reaction.
For 3 of the 4 tires one layer of clear was enough.
The rear tire with the most problems received 2 layers and that seems to do the trick. Even after more than a week of drying the clear stays flat.

The clearcoat I used was my own Revell Aqua Color mix as used previously. But this time thinned with it's dedicated thinner and applied by airbrush.
Although the image above does little to hide the imperfections I'm happy I finally am able to finish this chapter so I can divert my attention again towards the rest of the kit.

Work has finally continued on the body.