Skip to main content

Ferrari F430 (part 9)

The last update for this project was December 2010.

Time to resurrect one of my (too many) forgotten builds.

The second coat of primer (as mentioned at the end of the previous update for this project) has been sprayed. I think it was somewhere last year that I did that.

In the meantime I've also sprayed the colour. I intended to use the original Zero Paints colour which I bought for this project back in 2009 (I think it was) and used on the first body.
Back then, the ZP came in plastic bottles. And this is what's left from that bottle...

All the solvents have evaporated. Only the pigments are left, clogged at the bottom of the bottle.
I didn't bother to try and revive the contents of the bottle.

Black being black (sort of) I used my own mix of Tamiya X-18 and XF-1 (80% to 20%).
I also decided to (finally) start using my Harder&Steenbeck Infinity airbrush instead of the Evolution I've been using.
The Evolution needs some new seals, as everytime I use it I need to take it apart completely or else the needle will get stuck. Paint does get into the airbrush (in the wrong places) and once that paint dries, the needle will jam.
For some reason I had a problem with my Infinity as air was leaking into the paint cup. This led to some big air bubbles escaping through the filled paint cup, which in turn splattered some drops of paint onto the model...

Using some micromesh clothes (4000 and up) I managed to get rid of the splatters.

Or so I thought...
After a second (heavier) layer of my black mix the model looked a lot better on first inspection.
But when the paint had dried sufficiently the drops that I thought I had sanded down (enough) appeared again.
A real shame, as the second layer went down very good, giving the model an even and solid covering of the black.

That's what happens when you try to get maximum result with minimum effort...
There's no working around this now and I'll have to sand down the offensive drops completely.
I will get to it shortly as I intend to finish this build hopefully this year...


Popular posts from this blog

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 2)

As promised, only a few days since the first part, here's the second part of this build. Once in a while I tend to keep a promise... As mentioned in the previous part I have been studying the manual to figure out what needs to be modified for this build. A few things were already shown in the previous part. Here I will discuss the other modifications I'm planning. This will be a nice exercise for when I'm going to build Gigi Galli's slightly beaten Xsara WRC from rally Portugal 2007... Renaissance transkit 24/96 contains a PE sheet with mesh sections for the vents in the hood and the main grille in the front bumper. Renaissance tells you to glue the mesh over the appropriate sections of the body. But I'm intending to remove the plastic and create some sort of box under/behind the openings to suggest depth. The body needs some parts removed and filled. The molded quick-release bonnet and boot pins need to be removed as they will be replaced with PE items. The holes

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 1)

And off we go on another project. When modelling WRC subjects, you cannot ignore the Citroën Xsara WRC as it is some kind of legend. Especially in the hands of a certain French driver. That's why I have 3 Xsara kits in my stash. None of said driver, that is. But rest assured, he is also present in my WRC collection. With this particular build I'm going to build the car that Francois Duval drove so expertly to the runner-up spot in the 2007 ADAC Rallye Deutschland. Sadly, where the Citroën Xsara WRC is a bit of a legend, the same thing can not be said of the only injection moulded kit if the same car... As said, there's not much choice, as Heller is the only kit manufacturer for this car (although the same kit has also been released by Airfix and Italeri). For this build I'll be using Heller kit no. 80769. Let's just say,it's not a Tamiya kit... By far. For several reasons I chose this particular car because I like the livery and I like Francois Duval too beca

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 5)

As promised in the previous part in this update I'll show what I changed on the roll cage. The roll cage as included in the kit is far from complete. When looking at on-board footage and reference images found on the internet the roll cage needs some extra tubing added.  Over the years the roll cage of the Xsara WRC has had several variants as I've noticed studying my reference images. Which isn't that strange as the crash test and safety regulations have changed over the years.  The reference images I have of the specific chassis (#28) which Duval raced during the 2007 ADAC Rallye Deutschland are sadly inconclusive about which version of the roll cage was fitted. Which means that the adaptations I made are at best a good "guesstimate"... As long as it looks and feels right, it is right I guess... I used Evergreen styrene rod of 1.6 mm in diameter for the added sections for the rollcage.  The added sections are highlighted in the images below. Another section I&#