Skip to main content

Leuchtfeuer/Funkfeuer dio (part 5 - start of the Einheitsdiesel Kfz. 61))

Another key element of the Leuchtfeuer/Funkfeuer dio will be the Einheitsdiesel Kfz. 61 from IBG Models.


Upon opening the box 4 sprues of grey styrene, one sprue of clear parts and a small decal sheet greeted me.
In total there are a whopping 256 parts on the sprues of which 6 won't be needed for this build.

The instructions cover the building of this truck in 29 steps, laid out in clear pictures, obviously taken from a 3D model.

A quick overview of the sprues shows a good level of detail with some very delicate and well executed parts on display.
What is quite evident from the beginning is that the sprue attachment points are quite heavy and they require careful trimming from the trees so as not to damage the parts.


The frame of the truck is depicted in great detail. Shame that all of this won't be visible once the model is finished.

One of the peculiar details I noticed in the instructions is that the clear parts should already be mounted in the first steps...
Nothing too dramatic of course, but something I'm not quite used to (as a 1/24 car builder mainly).

The detail, as mentioned, is quite good on the different parts.
I commenced with the build according the instructions, starting with the radio shack.
This is were I noticed the first odd thing.
The front wall of the radio shack also doubles as the rear wall of the driver compartment and is made up of 2 parts.
These fit quite well, no problem there. But onto this rear wall a leather padding has to be mounted (as a back rest for the driver/passengers). This didn't fit well without some work.
To this end I shortened the upper part slightly with a scriber. Now everything fits as it's meant to.
I might fill the resulting space between the upper part and the leather padding to camouflage the step that's present now. Although, in the end, it will probably be hidden from the eye, so I might cut a corner here...


The driver cabin went together smoothly and a testfit to the radioshack revealed a near perfect fit. Great stuff from IBG here.


In the meantime I also started work on the frame of the truck. The frame is quite detailed and made up of a lot of parts. Sadly this won't be seen once the model is finished.
Here, the part fitment wasn't always great (although that might be me at fault here). It remains to be seen whether this will avenge itself further into the build.
I sincerely hope it won't...


More to come in the next update.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Euro Model Expo 2015

Last weekend I went to the Euro Model Expo event in Heiden, Germany. The event was spread over 2 days. I visited on the first day, Saturday March 28th. Just like last year the location was packed with stands occupied by a good mix of vendors and modelling clubs. The quality of the models on show, it being on the club stands or the competition area, was once again very high. During the day members of the Belgian modelling club KMK-Scaleworld were giving demonstrations of several modelling techniques. I decided to visit the demonstration of Jeroen Veen who showed the public several aircraft painting and weathering techniques. For me, as a n00b on aircraft, it was a very interesting and entertaining demonstration and I hope to apply some of the techniques I saw to my coming build of the 1/48 Tamiya Lancaster I got waiting. It was also a nice occassion to talk to some fellow modellers. Amongst others I had a nice chat with Sascha Müller who had a stunning diorama of a Le M

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 2)

As promised, only a few days since the first part, here's the second part of this build. Once in a while I tend to keep a promise... As mentioned in the previous part I have been studying the manual to figure out what needs to be modified for this build. A few things were already shown in the previous part. Here I will discuss the other modifications I'm planning. This will be a nice exercise for when I'm going to build Gigi Galli's slightly beaten Xsara WRC from rally Portugal 2007... Renaissance transkit 24/96 contains a PE sheet with mesh sections for the vents in the hood and the main grille in the front bumper. Renaissance tells you to glue the mesh over the appropriate sections of the body. But I'm intending to remove the plastic and create some sort of box under/behind the openings to suggest depth. The body needs some parts removed and filled. The molded quick-release bonnet and boot pins need to be removed as they will be replaced with PE items. The holes

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 5)

As promised in the previous part in this update I'll show what I changed on the roll cage. The roll cage as included in the kit is far from complete. When looking at on-board footage and reference images found on the internet the roll cage needs some extra tubing added.  Over the years the roll cage of the Xsara WRC has had several variants as I've noticed studying my reference images. Which isn't that strange as the crash test and safety regulations have changed over the years.  The reference images I have of the specific chassis (#28) which Duval raced during the 2007 ADAC Rallye Deutschland are sadly inconclusive about which version of the roll cage was fitted. Which means that the adaptations I made are at best a good "guesstimate"... As long as it looks and feels right, it is right I guess... I used Evergreen styrene rod of 1.6 mm in diameter for the added sections for the rollcage.  The added sections are highlighted in the images below. Another section I&#