Skip to main content

Chevrolet Cruze WTCC TC1 - Tom Coronel (part 1)

And off we go with another project.
But this won't be a quick one (as if I ever had quick projects...) as there's quite an amount of plastic surgery involved...

Ever since I got the ZoomOn transkit in my possession (discussed here) I've been very eager to get working on this one.
But I tried to keep my cool and finish one of the unfinished builds first.

Well. I can tell now that that plan has failed...

As a matter of fact, I was so eager to get going on this one, that I forgot to take some pictures showing the original body of the car (as supplied in the kit).

So, what's the plan?
Base kit is the Aoshima/Beemax Chevrolet Cruze WTCC.
This will be enhanced with the transkit by ZoomOn.


Before starting with the chassis I wanted to get the body sorted first as I suspected this was going to take a fair amount of work.

First step was easy. To remove the front of the original body.
Well, okay, not that easy, because there was some delicate cutting to do. But all went well.


After seperating the front of the body the rear bumper and side skirts were next.
In the instructions is shown which parts to remove from the body. It would have been nice if ZoomOn had provided a template for this. But with some test fitting of the skirts it was possible to make my own template. A great test case for my newest toy...


Which performed flawlessly. But that's not to say that all went without a hitch.
Looking at the finished model that is shown on the ZoomOn site, I've got some filling and sanding to do to get it to look even close...

Fitment of the rear bumper is very tight at the moment. I'm still contemplating if I should remove more material. I fear that the tension left in the parts might result in the bond coming loose over time.

More to come in a next update (which migth take some time...)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Euro Model Expo 2015

Last weekend I went to the Euro Model Expo event in Heiden, Germany. The event was spread over 2 days. I visited on the first day, Saturday March 28th. Just like last year the location was packed with stands occupied by a good mix of vendors and modelling clubs. The quality of the models on show, it being on the club stands or the competition area, was once again very high. During the day members of the Belgian modelling club KMK-Scaleworld were giving demonstrations of several modelling techniques. I decided to visit the demonstration of Jeroen Veen who showed the public several aircraft painting and weathering techniques. For me, as a n00b on aircraft, it was a very interesting and entertaining demonstration and I hope to apply some of the techniques I saw to my coming build of the 1/48 Tamiya Lancaster I got waiting. It was also a nice occassion to talk to some fellow modellers. Amongst others I had a nice chat with Sascha Müller who had a stunning diorama of a Le M

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 5)

As promised in the previous part in this update I'll show what I changed on the roll cage. The roll cage as included in the kit is far from complete. When looking at on-board footage and reference images found on the internet the roll cage needs some extra tubing added.  Over the years the roll cage of the Xsara WRC has had several variants as I've noticed studying my reference images. Which isn't that strange as the crash test and safety regulations have changed over the years.  The reference images I have of the specific chassis (#28) which Duval raced during the 2007 ADAC Rallye Deutschland are sadly inconclusive about which version of the roll cage was fitted. Which means that the adaptations I made are at best a good "guesstimate"... As long as it looks and feels right, it is right I guess... I used Evergreen styrene rod of 1.6 mm in diameter for the added sections for the rollcage.  The added sections are highlighted in the images below. Another section I&#

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 2)

As promised, only a few days since the first part, here's the second part of this build. Once in a while I tend to keep a promise... As mentioned in the previous part I have been studying the manual to figure out what needs to be modified for this build. A few things were already shown in the previous part. Here I will discuss the other modifications I'm planning. This will be a nice exercise for when I'm going to build Gigi Galli's slightly beaten Xsara WRC from rally Portugal 2007... Renaissance transkit 24/96 contains a PE sheet with mesh sections for the vents in the hood and the main grille in the front bumper. Renaissance tells you to glue the mesh over the appropriate sections of the body. But I'm intending to remove the plastic and create some sort of box under/behind the openings to suggest depth. The body needs some parts removed and filled. The molded quick-release bonnet and boot pins need to be removed as they will be replaced with PE items. The holes