Skip to main content

Ferrari F430 (part 8)

Out with the old, in with the new...
The final sentence of the previous update couldn't be further from the truth.
Finished it is definately not. Well, yes and no actually. The car is not finished, but the body is. And had already been sent on a one-way trip to garbage-ness...
When trying to sand smooth the various spots left in the layer of clear and smooth out the clear in general a problem occured. Something which I haven't encountered with the Peugeot 307 of Gigi Galli.
For some reason I wasn't able to smooth out the layer enough and worst of all, I seemed to have damaged the clearcoat. I've sanded and compounded my hands sore, but for some reason I couldn't get the shine back into the clear. Very strange.
On top of it all the roof finally cracked for good after the plastic had already been weakened when stripping a previous paintjob.
The sad result can be seen in the picture below left.

I placed a message in the classifieds section of Automotive Forums and to my luck and joy I got a very quick and positive response. User "exit13" (Jon Winter, a regular contributor to Tamiya Model Magazine) had an almost complete kit lying around which he wasn't going to use anymore.
I could buy the kit from him for a very reasonable price and I could start working again.
The new body (and parts) can be seen in de picture above right.

Second time will be easier
Someone once told me that when you do something for the second time, you won't be making the mistakes you made the first time.
Well. Let's just wait and see.
Preparation of the new body is going well. The inserts in front of the front wheels have been blended in with the rest of the body.
Some minor scratches I happened to make while deepening the panel lines of the model have been repaired.
Another addition I made was drilling some holes in the mirror supports and the body. I glued some small pieces of wire into the mirror supports to create a better joint when mounting the mirrors.
Last picture is from (part of) the body after priming. As can be seen, a few spots had to be taken care of.

A final coat of primer is all it needs now, and than I can commence with the real painting.
But that will be for the next update.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Euro Model Expo 2015

Last weekend I went to the Euro Model Expo event in Heiden, Germany. The event was spread over 2 days. I visited on the first day, Saturday March 28th. Just like last year the location was packed with stands occupied by a good mix of vendors and modelling clubs. The quality of the models on show, it being on the club stands or the competition area, was once again very high. During the day members of the Belgian modelling club KMK-Scaleworld were giving demonstrations of several modelling techniques. I decided to visit the demonstration of Jeroen Veen who showed the public several aircraft painting and weathering techniques. For me, as a n00b on aircraft, it was a very interesting and entertaining demonstration and I hope to apply some of the techniques I saw to my coming build of the 1/48 Tamiya Lancaster I got waiting. It was also a nice occassion to talk to some fellow modellers. Amongst others I had a nice chat with Sascha Müller who had a stunning diorama of a Le M

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 2)

As promised, only a few days since the first part, here's the second part of this build. Once in a while I tend to keep a promise... As mentioned in the previous part I have been studying the manual to figure out what needs to be modified for this build. A few things were already shown in the previous part. Here I will discuss the other modifications I'm planning. This will be a nice exercise for when I'm going to build Gigi Galli's slightly beaten Xsara WRC from rally Portugal 2007... Renaissance transkit 24/96 contains a PE sheet with mesh sections for the vents in the hood and the main grille in the front bumper. Renaissance tells you to glue the mesh over the appropriate sections of the body. But I'm intending to remove the plastic and create some sort of box under/behind the openings to suggest depth. The body needs some parts removed and filled. The molded quick-release bonnet and boot pins need to be removed as they will be replaced with PE items. The holes

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 5)

As promised in the previous part in this update I'll show what I changed on the roll cage. The roll cage as included in the kit is far from complete. When looking at on-board footage and reference images found on the internet the roll cage needs some extra tubing added.  Over the years the roll cage of the Xsara WRC has had several variants as I've noticed studying my reference images. Which isn't that strange as the crash test and safety regulations have changed over the years.  The reference images I have of the specific chassis (#28) which Duval raced during the 2007 ADAC Rallye Deutschland are sadly inconclusive about which version of the roll cage was fitted. Which means that the adaptations I made are at best a good "guesstimate"... As long as it looks and feels right, it is right I guess... I used Evergreen styrene rod of 1.6 mm in diameter for the added sections for the rollcage.  The added sections are highlighted in the images below. Another section I&#