Skip to main content

Ford Focus WRC 02, Rally Oltrepò Pavese 2007 (part 2)

Finally, more progress
As I already mentioned on the what's new page, becoming a father has disrupted my modelling activities somewhat. But nevertheless, progress has been made.
First thing I did, when I had cleaned the body, was fill the vents in front of the front wheels and blend them in with the body by using some standard Tamiya putty.
I also made a new front lip, because the original kit one wasn't correct for the car Gigi drove in this particular rally.
I made the new lip (using the body as a template) out of a .5 mm Evergreen styrene sheet. It has to be said that the lip in the picture below is still a bit large. I sanded it down in the meantime to better match the original. Also shown in the picture is the original lip from the kit.

To bridge the gap between the new hood and the body I've decided to glue tiny strips of styrene to the sides of the hood and sand these to size, filling the gap.
In the dry-fit with the xenon light pods and the glasses can be seen (the second set of images below) that there is still some work to do. But I'm content with the result so far.

Next part I've worked on was the roof scoop. The Focus '02 model has a larger roof scoop that the kit supplied Focus '01 version.
I closed the holes for the original roof scoop with some putty and als smoothed out the roof of the car, so the new roof scoop can be mounted flush to the roof.

To add a little more depth to the roof scoop I dremelled (is that a word?) out the intake and outlet openings with a small burr.
As can be seen above, not all went well and a bit of repairing was required with some Tamiya standard putty (which worked perfectly).

The rear wing of the car is a separate part in the kit, but if left unattended, it will create an additional panelline which wasn't present on the real car (see first picture below).
Since taking this picture I have used putty to hide this wrong panelline.
Another thing that bugged me was the fact that you could look through the car (from above) because of the open wheel arches. So I decided to close them.
First I glued a piece of styrene onto the existing wheel wells on the chassis. Next step will be to use some Milliput to finish the wheel arches.

More on this will be in the next update.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Euro Model Expo 2015

Last weekend I went to the Euro Model Expo event in Heiden, Germany. The event was spread over 2 days. I visited on the first day, Saturday March 28th. Just like last year the location was packed with stands occupied by a good mix of vendors and modelling clubs. The quality of the models on show, it being on the club stands or the competition area, was once again very high. During the day members of the Belgian modelling club KMK-Scaleworld were giving demonstrations of several modelling techniques. I decided to visit the demonstration of Jeroen Veen who showed the public several aircraft painting and weathering techniques. For me, as a n00b on aircraft, it was a very interesting and entertaining demonstration and I hope to apply some of the techniques I saw to my coming build of the 1/48 Tamiya Lancaster I got waiting. It was also a nice occassion to talk to some fellow modellers. Amongst others I had a nice chat with Sascha Müller who had a stunning diorama of a Le M

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 5)

As promised in the previous part in this update I'll show what I changed on the roll cage. The roll cage as included in the kit is far from complete. When looking at on-board footage and reference images found on the internet the roll cage needs some extra tubing added.  Over the years the roll cage of the Xsara WRC has had several variants as I've noticed studying my reference images. Which isn't that strange as the crash test and safety regulations have changed over the years.  The reference images I have of the specific chassis (#28) which Duval raced during the 2007 ADAC Rallye Deutschland are sadly inconclusive about which version of the roll cage was fitted. Which means that the adaptations I made are at best a good "guesstimate"... As long as it looks and feels right, it is right I guess... I used Evergreen styrene rod of 1.6 mm in diameter for the added sections for the rollcage.  The added sections are highlighted in the images below. Another section I&#

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 2)

As promised, only a few days since the first part, here's the second part of this build. Once in a while I tend to keep a promise... As mentioned in the previous part I have been studying the manual to figure out what needs to be modified for this build. A few things were already shown in the previous part. Here I will discuss the other modifications I'm planning. This will be a nice exercise for when I'm going to build Gigi Galli's slightly beaten Xsara WRC from rally Portugal 2007... Renaissance transkit 24/96 contains a PE sheet with mesh sections for the vents in the hood and the main grille in the front bumper. Renaissance tells you to glue the mesh over the appropriate sections of the body. But I'm intending to remove the plastic and create some sort of box under/behind the openings to suggest depth. The body needs some parts removed and filled. The molded quick-release bonnet and boot pins need to be removed as they will be replaced with PE items. The holes