Skip to main content

Jaguar XJ220 "Martini" GT, Italian GT championship 1993 (part 4)

On we go
It's been almost 2 years since I last updated the build report of this particular build. Shame on me.
Being a father takes up a lot of time (and not to forget energy). Not to say that I've been doing nothing at all the past years.

Although the progress isn't mindblowing, there's still some progress to report. And it's about time too.
Back in 2008 I'd painted almost all the suspension and engine parts. But being just unassembled parts, they were not very interesting to show.
In the meantime the engine has been painted. It still needs a bit of a wash, as it looks way too clean and I want it to have a slightly used look.

Some mold lines are still visible on the pictures. But they don't bother me in this case, as they can't be seen once the engine is buried inside the car.
And as I plan to glue the engine window shut, there's no chance anyone will ever know (unless they read it here of course).
I drybrushed some chrome silver onto the lettering, but it's really not visible against the aluminium (Revell aqua color) I airbrushed the engine with...

Another part I've finished is the cooler assembly, that will be mounted in the front of the car. Although I have some nice reference pics of the cooling system, this is as far as I go with it, as this part won't be visible when the car's finished.
Apart from that I also did some work on the rear of the car, with the aid of the reference pictures. I added some styrene strip to make sure the body has the right stance. I couldn't see how Tamiya have solved this and where the body rests on, once the car is assembled. So to be on the safe side, I made my own "body-rest".
I also added two pieces of brass plate according to the reference picture.

In the reference picture above can be seen that there is some kind of cilinder at the back of the engine. I'm not enough of a mechanic to know what it does, but I do know that it's not in the kit, so I need to scratchbuild it as, with the opened up rear, everything is very visible in there.
At the top of the page you can see some testfitting pictures of the car. What bothered me the most about them, was that the rear wheels looked (and were actually) too small. But as I had no alternatives (I thought), I left it that way.
Until I remembered that I had some tyres and wheels left over from the build of a Jaguar XJR-9 Le Mans racer. And what do you know? The tyres were a perfect fit (well in diameter at least) for the wheels I'm using in this build.

Okay, the rear tyres are a bit too wide for the wheels. But a testfit showed that this wouldn't cause any problems. And as the car will be standing on it's wheels, nobody will see it anyway.
If it really bothers me, I might add an extra lip to the rear wheels to cover it up.

Final thing I want to show in this update is the fact that I bought another XJ220 kit, just for a LHD dashboard.
Although I need to do quite some work still on the dashboard to get it to look right, I cut some corners and bought the other kit, just to have the shape of the dash already.
At first I wanted to cut up the Tamiya RHD dash, but I soon figured that it would be nearly impossible to get it to look anywhere near convincing. And as I could get the AMT kit rather cheap, the choice was quickly made.
The right picture shows both dashboards (left Tamiya, right AMT).

I also did some work on the brakes.
At first I had painted them according the instructions from Tamiya. But I figured that this car would have carbon brakes as it was used in GT racing, so I repainted the brake discs.
The color I used for simulating carbon is Gesch├╝tzgrau from the Revell Aqua Color series. Looks pretty good to me.
I was also planning to use some Brembo decals on the brake calipers. But I didn't have any spares. And besides, nobody can possible tell if there would be decals on the brake calipers, as they're nearly completely hidden by the wheels.
So no decals.

Apart from the dashboard, there's also some work to do on the exhaust system.
I noticed in the picture of the backside of the car (at the start of this update) that there's no part of the exhaust system mounted at the back of the gearbox. It is there in the instructions of this kit.
So I concluded that for the racing version of this car, the exhaust system had been altered (which makes sense, performance-wise). And because of the open view onto the gearbox area I had to make those changes to the exhaust system too.
Which is easier said than done. I've started some work (by first cutting up the original exhaust) already but am a bit struggling with how to fix the new exhaust to the car body.

That's it for now.

Comments