Skip to main content

Ferrari F430 (part 2)

Painting the body
And what a body it is.
After glueing the PE parts to the body, I coated the model in a few thin layers of primer to create an even underground for the paint to adhere to. The primed body can be seen on the first page.
I decided to give this Ferrari F430 a black color. Red Ferrari's can be found all over the internet and forums. I just wanted something a little bit different and I also think that black is a very cool colour for this car. Gives it a bit of a menacing appearance.
After spraying a few light coats, I then proceeded with adding 3 wet coats to build up a nice layer of paint.
Which will probably be necessary as I'm going to use polishing compound and wax on this model. And as it is the first time that I'll be using those materials, I suspect that a sturdy layer of paint might come in very handy.
Below are several pictures of the current state of affairs.

When you look closely at the pictures, you can see that there is some overspray (very lightly) on the roof of the car.
When I painted the areas around the engine room vents, I thought that I had sufficiently masked the car. But apparently I didn't. But I'm guessing that I'll get this overspray removed with the polishing compound I'm intending to use.
A bigger problem I have is the fact that, on the back of the car, a spot of paint got chipped. For some reason I felt like dropping my tweezers next to the car. So what's the problem ? I just said that it fell next to the car...
Sadly, my cutting mat felt quite elastic that day and the tweezers bounced right onto the back of the car (with the sharp point of course). But as it is only a really small spot, I'll try to mask it with a bit of paint and hope that after polishing and waxing, the damage can't be seen anymore.

Details, details
The final picture I'm going to show in this update is of several PE parts that I still have to paint and put onto the car.
I've already primed the parts, as can be seen in the picture.

Apart from adding the PE parts, I'm also intending to do some extra detailing in the engine bay. Not too much, but just a few things to liven it up a bit.
Until next time !

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Euro Model Expo 2015

Last weekend I went to the Euro Model Expo event in Heiden, Germany. The event was spread over 2 days. I visited on the first day, Saturday March 28th. Just like last year the location was packed with stands occupied by a good mix of vendors and modelling clubs. The quality of the models on show, it being on the club stands or the competition area, was once again very high. During the day members of the Belgian modelling club KMK-Scaleworld were giving demonstrations of several modelling techniques. I decided to visit the demonstration of Jeroen Veen who showed the public several aircraft painting and weathering techniques. For me, as a n00b on aircraft, it was a very interesting and entertaining demonstration and I hope to apply some of the techniques I saw to my coming build of the 1/48 Tamiya Lancaster I got waiting. It was also a nice occassion to talk to some fellow modellers. Amongst others I had a nice chat with Sascha Müller who had a stunning diorama of a Le M

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 2)

As promised, only a few days since the first part, here's the second part of this build. Once in a while I tend to keep a promise... As mentioned in the previous part I have been studying the manual to figure out what needs to be modified for this build. A few things were already shown in the previous part. Here I will discuss the other modifications I'm planning. This will be a nice exercise for when I'm going to build Gigi Galli's slightly beaten Xsara WRC from rally Portugal 2007... Renaissance transkit 24/96 contains a PE sheet with mesh sections for the vents in the hood and the main grille in the front bumper. Renaissance tells you to glue the mesh over the appropriate sections of the body. But I'm intending to remove the plastic and create some sort of box under/behind the openings to suggest depth. The body needs some parts removed and filled. The molded quick-release bonnet and boot pins need to be removed as they will be replaced with PE items. The holes

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 5)

As promised in the previous part in this update I'll show what I changed on the roll cage. The roll cage as included in the kit is far from complete. When looking at on-board footage and reference images found on the internet the roll cage needs some extra tubing added.  Over the years the roll cage of the Xsara WRC has had several variants as I've noticed studying my reference images. Which isn't that strange as the crash test and safety regulations have changed over the years.  The reference images I have of the specific chassis (#28) which Duval raced during the 2007 ADAC Rallye Deutschland are sadly inconclusive about which version of the roll cage was fitted. Which means that the adaptations I made are at best a good "guesstimate"... As long as it looks and feels right, it is right I guess... I used Evergreen styrene rod of 1.6 mm in diameter for the added sections for the rollcage.  The added sections are highlighted in the images below. Another section I&#