Skip to main content

Peugeot 307 WRC "Pirelli", Tour de Corse 2006 (part 2)

Preparing the body (once again)
As can be read at the top of this page, I wasn't happy with the way the colour of the car turned out (Tamiya TS-47).
After bathing for several weeks in brake-fluid, the paint just didn't want to come off. So I decided to help a bit. With the aid of an old (...) toothbrush and an even older scotch brite pad I managed to get most of the paint off.
The reluctant bits I attacked with a bit of sanding paper, and after I had washed the body in some lukewarm water with a bit of dish-washing soap, it looked like new again.
Well, sort of.

After this laborious process I decanted a bit of Tamiya White Primer into a jar (and spilling half the jar in the process), and sprayed the body with several layers of this primer.
Firstly, because I wanted an even white finish for the yellow to go onto, and secondly because it gave me a nice opportunity to see where I had to do some reworking...

And reworking I had to do. Because I always intended to spray some primer onto the body, I figured that it might be smart to deepen the panel lines of the body a bit, to prevent them from filling up with primer and/or paint.
Sadly, it appeared that I don't have a very steady hand. Although I tried to be very careful, it happened once or twice that the scriber "got away", creating a new panel line where I didn't want it.
So out came the putty and the sand paper, to repair the damage I had done.

Decisions, decisions
Now that the body is prepared and ready to receive some new colour, I faced the unpleasant task of choosing which colour to use (or is that try) next.
The contestants are : Revell Aqua Color Yellow, Tamiya X-8 Lemon Yellow, and Tamiya TS-47 Chrome Yellow.

At least I knew which colour I wouldn't choose. Remained the choice between Revell and Tamiya X-8.
I've decided to try my hand at X-8 and in the next update you'll read whether that was the right choice or not.

Apart from preparing the body, I also finished the brakes.

And I did some mass painting of semigloss black parts.
I painted the parts with Revell Aqua Color semigloss black. And I must say, I really love that colour. All colours from the Revell Aqua Color range, as a matter of fact.
They don't smell, they cover perfectly and very smooth, and even if you try to botch up, it turns out great. Highly recommended.
Right, after that commercial break, a nice picture of the parts (with some product placement added as a bonus).

That's it for this update.
See you next time !

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Euro Model Expo 2015

Last weekend I went to the Euro Model Expo event in Heiden, Germany. The event was spread over 2 days. I visited on the first day, Saturday March 28th. Just like last year the location was packed with stands occupied by a good mix of vendors and modelling clubs. The quality of the models on show, it being on the club stands or the competition area, was once again very high. During the day members of the Belgian modelling club KMK-Scaleworld were giving demonstrations of several modelling techniques. I decided to visit the demonstration of Jeroen Veen who showed the public several aircraft painting and weathering techniques. For me, as a n00b on aircraft, it was a very interesting and entertaining demonstration and I hope to apply some of the techniques I saw to my coming build of the 1/48 Tamiya Lancaster I got waiting. It was also a nice occassion to talk to some fellow modellers. Amongst others I had a nice chat with Sascha Müller who had a stunning diorama of a Le M

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 2)

As promised, only a few days since the first part, here's the second part of this build. Once in a while I tend to keep a promise... As mentioned in the previous part I have been studying the manual to figure out what needs to be modified for this build. A few things were already shown in the previous part. Here I will discuss the other modifications I'm planning. This will be a nice exercise for when I'm going to build Gigi Galli's slightly beaten Xsara WRC from rally Portugal 2007... Renaissance transkit 24/96 contains a PE sheet with mesh sections for the vents in the hood and the main grille in the front bumper. Renaissance tells you to glue the mesh over the appropriate sections of the body. But I'm intending to remove the plastic and create some sort of box under/behind the openings to suggest depth. The body needs some parts removed and filled. The molded quick-release bonnet and boot pins need to be removed as they will be replaced with PE items. The holes

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 5)

As promised in the previous part in this update I'll show what I changed on the roll cage. The roll cage as included in the kit is far from complete. When looking at on-board footage and reference images found on the internet the roll cage needs some extra tubing added.  Over the years the roll cage of the Xsara WRC has had several variants as I've noticed studying my reference images. Which isn't that strange as the crash test and safety regulations have changed over the years.  The reference images I have of the specific chassis (#28) which Duval raced during the 2007 ADAC Rallye Deutschland are sadly inconclusive about which version of the roll cage was fitted. Which means that the adaptations I made are at best a good "guesstimate"... As long as it looks and feels right, it is right I guess... I used Evergreen styrene rod of 1.6 mm in diameter for the added sections for the rollcage.  The added sections are highlighted in the images below. Another section I&#