Skip to main content

Benetton Ford B190B, F1 season 1991 (part 4)

Due to the fact that the engine cover was slightly deformed and I couldn't get it aligned with the rollover hoop I decided to glue the engine cover to the body and make this car curbside.

I have another one of these kits (the B190 version) lying around, and will try to get it sorted on that version so I'll be able to display the engine too as it looks quite nice.

Although I glued the engine cover to the body there was still some work needed, filling some small gaps and getting everything correctly aligned.

The original kit decals were a bit yellowed.
I know there are ways to restore the decals to their original condition, but in this case that didn't help much.
Luckily Shunko has released a new decalsheet for this kit, so bought that from MediaMix Hobby.

The rear wing has also been assembled.
After priming I noticed that I had overseen a few ejector pin marks. These were filled and sanded again.

The body and other parts have been primed too to check for flaws and prepare them for paint.

As with the rear wing I noticed some leftover ejector pin marks in the floor.
I tried to fill them with another kind of putty (Vallejo in this case). I normally use the standard Tamiya grey putty (in the tube with the orange cap).
I wasn't really convinced by this new putty, so will be using Tamiya in the future again. The Vallejo putty was too brittle and came partly loose quite easily. So I had to do the filling and sanding over sadly.

Before applying the colour I decided to open up the naca duct on top of the left sidepod to add a little bit of detail.
To give the feature a bit more scale thickness, I thinned the body from the inside. I'm pretty happy with how this turned out.

The first layer of paint has been applied to a selection of parts, but I'm not quite happy with the end result. So that won't be shown just yet.

More next time.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Euro Model Expo 2015

Last weekend I went to the Euro Model Expo event in Heiden, Germany. The event was spread over 2 days. I visited on the first day, Saturday March 28th. Just like last year the location was packed with stands occupied by a good mix of vendors and modelling clubs. The quality of the models on show, it being on the club stands or the competition area, was once again very high. During the day members of the Belgian modelling club KMK-Scaleworld were giving demonstrations of several modelling techniques. I decided to visit the demonstration of Jeroen Veen who showed the public several aircraft painting and weathering techniques. For me, as a n00b on aircraft, it was a very interesting and entertaining demonstration and I hope to apply some of the techniques I saw to my coming build of the 1/48 Tamiya Lancaster I got waiting. It was also a nice occassion to talk to some fellow modellers. Amongst others I had a nice chat with Sascha Müller who had a stunning diorama of a Le M

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 2)

As promised, only a few days since the first part, here's the second part of this build. Once in a while I tend to keep a promise... As mentioned in the previous part I have been studying the manual to figure out what needs to be modified for this build. A few things were already shown in the previous part. Here I will discuss the other modifications I'm planning. This will be a nice exercise for when I'm going to build Gigi Galli's slightly beaten Xsara WRC from rally Portugal 2007... Renaissance transkit 24/96 contains a PE sheet with mesh sections for the vents in the hood and the main grille in the front bumper. Renaissance tells you to glue the mesh over the appropriate sections of the body. But I'm intending to remove the plastic and create some sort of box under/behind the openings to suggest depth. The body needs some parts removed and filled. The molded quick-release bonnet and boot pins need to be removed as they will be replaced with PE items. The holes

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 5)

As promised in the previous part in this update I'll show what I changed on the roll cage. The roll cage as included in the kit is far from complete. When looking at on-board footage and reference images found on the internet the roll cage needs some extra tubing added.  Over the years the roll cage of the Xsara WRC has had several variants as I've noticed studying my reference images. Which isn't that strange as the crash test and safety regulations have changed over the years.  The reference images I have of the specific chassis (#28) which Duval raced during the 2007 ADAC Rallye Deutschland are sadly inconclusive about which version of the roll cage was fitted. Which means that the adaptations I made are at best a good "guesstimate"... As long as it looks and feels right, it is right I guess... I used Evergreen styrene rod of 1.6 mm in diameter for the added sections for the rollcage.  The added sections are highlighted in the images below. Another section I&#