Skip to main content

Corvette C5-R Compuware (part 4)


The build of the Corvette is coming along slowly but steadily.
After all the work on the body everything had to be smoothed. This was done with putty, sandpaper and sanding sticks in different grades.
At the moment most of the sanding work is finished and the model is almost ready for primer.
Here's as few pictures of the current state of the build:

In the meantime I managed to prepare all the small(er) parts primer/paint. Only a small section of the parts is visible in the picture below.

As I've decided to glue the body to the floor, I won't be spending a lot of time on the engine, suspension and other internals. I will paint them and might try a few weathering tricks on the parts, but won't be detailing the parts. It will stay OOB.
For the cockpit I'm planning to go a bit further because it is a very visible area and I've found several useful reference images.
Sadly I had to conclude that Revell has left out several details for this specific version of the Corvette C5-R here too. But nothing that can't be fixed with a bit of styrene and some putty.

The rollcage in the kit wasn't complete. The section indicated in the picture below was not present in the kit. I'm still contemplating whether to scratchbuild this section or not. It's a bit dependent on the available space. I have to take some measurements first before deciding what to do.

The passenger side of the interior for the real car is also different from what's to be found in the kit. But I think it will be relatively easy to scratchbuild the boxes in the picture.

I also started work in the driver's seat. I sanded down the straps moulded onto the seat. I will replace them later on in the build with some more realistic fabric seat belts. As I'm still working on the seat, I will show a picture of this at a later stage.

I've seen several builds of the C5-R by Revell on the internet. On most of these builds I thought that the wheels were too deep inside the wheel wells. So I did a dryfit with the wheels, suspension, floor and body. And indeed it showed that the wheels were too deep inside when compared to reference images. I will try to add some styrene to the suspension parts to get the wheels in the correct position.

That's it for now.
Hopefully next time I'll be showing some painted/primed parts...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Euro Model Expo 2015

Last weekend I went to the Euro Model Expo event in Heiden, Germany. The event was spread over 2 days. I visited on the first day, Saturday March 28th. Just like last year the location was packed with stands occupied by a good mix of vendors and modelling clubs. The quality of the models on show, it being on the club stands or the competition area, was once again very high. During the day members of the Belgian modelling club KMK-Scaleworld were giving demonstrations of several modelling techniques. I decided to visit the demonstration of Jeroen Veen who showed the public several aircraft painting and weathering techniques. For me, as a n00b on aircraft, it was a very interesting and entertaining demonstration and I hope to apply some of the techniques I saw to my coming build of the 1/48 Tamiya Lancaster I got waiting. It was also a nice occassion to talk to some fellow modellers. Amongst others I had a nice chat with Sascha Müller who had a stunning diorama of a Le M

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 5)

As promised in the previous part in this update I'll show what I changed on the roll cage. The roll cage as included in the kit is far from complete. When looking at on-board footage and reference images found on the internet the roll cage needs some extra tubing added.  Over the years the roll cage of the Xsara WRC has had several variants as I've noticed studying my reference images. Which isn't that strange as the crash test and safety regulations have changed over the years.  The reference images I have of the specific chassis (#28) which Duval raced during the 2007 ADAC Rallye Deutschland are sadly inconclusive about which version of the roll cage was fitted. Which means that the adaptations I made are at best a good "guesstimate"... As long as it looks and feels right, it is right I guess... I used Evergreen styrene rod of 1.6 mm in diameter for the added sections for the rollcage.  The added sections are highlighted in the images below. Another section I&#

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 2)

As promised, only a few days since the first part, here's the second part of this build. Once in a while I tend to keep a promise... As mentioned in the previous part I have been studying the manual to figure out what needs to be modified for this build. A few things were already shown in the previous part. Here I will discuss the other modifications I'm planning. This will be a nice exercise for when I'm going to build Gigi Galli's slightly beaten Xsara WRC from rally Portugal 2007... Renaissance transkit 24/96 contains a PE sheet with mesh sections for the vents in the hood and the main grille in the front bumper. Renaissance tells you to glue the mesh over the appropriate sections of the body. But I'm intending to remove the plastic and create some sort of box under/behind the openings to suggest depth. The body needs some parts removed and filled. The molded quick-release bonnet and boot pins need to be removed as they will be replaced with PE items. The holes