Skip to main content

Corvette C5-R Compuware (part 3)

The next episode of the Corvette C5-R is here.

Looking at reference pictures on the internet I stumble upon more and more things that aren't correct when building a Le Mans 2003 Corvette C5-R.

This is what I've been doing thus far:
Around the door windows there was some kind of frame which wasn't present during Le Mans 2003. I removed the frames with my motortool.
I don't know which source Revell has used when deciding the frames should be there. I actually haven't seen anything like it on the reference images I've found.

Here and there the surface is a bit rough... Maybe I should have been a bit more patient when removing the frames. But it's nothing that can't be solved with a bit of putty.

The outlet opening for the radiator has also been taken care of. Some touching up still needs to be done, but I'm happy with the progress so far.

At the front of the body I have opened up the cooling openings next to the indicators and I also removed the main cooling opening, which I in the process also made a bit wider to indicate the new brake cooling openings.
PE mesh will be added at a later stage.

The diffusor was another area which received more work than originally planned.
At first I thought about thinning the strakes of the diffusor. Which I also had started to do but I wasn't really happy with the result. On top of that was the profile of the diffusor not correct for the later models of the C5-R so in the end I decided to cut off all the strakes and to rebuild the diffusor with plastic sheet.
Apart from that I did notice on my reference images that the diffusor should be shortened a bit.
Last but not least I also noticed that the angle of the diffusor relative to the ground is not correct. But I won't be changing that on this build, as that would also mean extensive modifications to the body.
I personally doubt that a lot of people would notice it anyway (safe for the three people reading this post...).

In the end I didn't wait until I had finished all the work on the body before trying to straighten it.
I taped the body to a solid and rigid piece of plastic and used my wife's hairdryer to soften the plastic of the body just enough to straigthen it.
This went without any difficulties and I'm totally pleased with the result.

As can be seen there's still some work left on the body trying to get everything to look smooth.
I hope that by the next update everything is ready for primer.


Popular posts from this blog

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 2)

As promised, only a few days since the first part, here's the second part of this build. Once in a while I tend to keep a promise... As mentioned in the previous part I have been studying the manual to figure out what needs to be modified for this build. A few things were already shown in the previous part. Here I will discuss the other modifications I'm planning. This will be a nice exercise for when I'm going to build Gigi Galli's slightly beaten Xsara WRC from rally Portugal 2007... Renaissance transkit 24/96 contains a PE sheet with mesh sections for the vents in the hood and the main grille in the front bumper. Renaissance tells you to glue the mesh over the appropriate sections of the body. But I'm intending to remove the plastic and create some sort of box under/behind the openings to suggest depth. The body needs some parts removed and filled. The molded quick-release bonnet and boot pins need to be removed as they will be replaced with PE items. The holes

Citroën Xsara WRC - Francois Duval, ADAC Rallye Deutschland 2007 (part 1)

And off we go on another project. When modelling WRC subjects, you cannot ignore the Citroën Xsara WRC as it is some kind of legend. Especially in the hands of a certain French driver. That's why I have 3 Xsara kits in my stash. None of said driver, that is. But rest assured, he is also present in my WRC collection. With this particular build I'm going to build the car that Francois Duval drove so expertly to the runner-up spot in the 2007 ADAC Rallye Deutschland. Sadly, where the Citroën Xsara WRC is a bit of a legend, the same thing can not be said of the only injection moulded kit if the same car... As said, there's not much choice, as Heller is the only kit manufacturer for this car (although the same kit has also been released by Airfix and Italeri). For this build I'll be using Heller kit no. 80769. Let's just say,it's not a Tamiya kit... By far. For several reasons I chose this particular car because I like the livery and I like Francois Duval too beca

Euro Model Expo 2015

Last weekend I went to the Euro Model Expo event in Heiden, Germany. The event was spread over 2 days. I visited on the first day, Saturday March 28th. Just like last year the location was packed with stands occupied by a good mix of vendors and modelling clubs. The quality of the models on show, it being on the club stands or the competition area, was once again very high. During the day members of the Belgian modelling club KMK-Scaleworld were giving demonstrations of several modelling techniques. I decided to visit the demonstration of Jeroen Veen who showed the public several aircraft painting and weathering techniques. For me, as a n00b on aircraft, it was a very interesting and entertaining demonstration and I hope to apply some of the techniques I saw to my coming build of the 1/48 Tamiya Lancaster I got waiting. It was also a nice occassion to talk to some fellow modellers. Amongst others I had a nice chat with Sascha Müller who had a stunning diorama of a Le M